Chapter 5: I Miss You

She misses him. Even after only knowing him for a few weeks she felt like she was falling in love with him and now she's pushed him away. No, she can't think like that. She pushed him away for a good reason. Their marriage was going to be strictly business. No feelings attached. But she can't help feeling bad whenever she walks into the same room as him and he gives that sad faraway look.

"Caroline, are you even listening to me?" Her head snaps up at Elena's voice.

"What?" Elena giggles under her breath and pats her friend's arm.

"You're thinking about Klaus."

"I am not."

"Yes, you are. I could tell from the drool pooling at the corner of your mouth." Caroline quickly wipes her hand across her mouth and she giggles even louder but her smile soon turns into a frown. "Why did you push him away?"

"He seems far too interested in Aurora." She grabs Caroline's hand from across the table.

"I've seen the way he looks at you. Believe me, the only one he's interested in is you." She sighs and squeezes her hand in response. "He even pushes Aurora away when she tries to lure him to her room."

"I don't want to get hurt, Elena." Caroline leans her chin on her hand. "I can't get hurt."

"I know. Just give him another chance." She sets her hand on her friend's arm before exiting the room.

****

"Have you talked to her?" Elena really wasn't expecting Klaus to be waiting outside the room.

"Yes, Klaus. She is sad without you but she won't give herself the chance to be happy."

"I love her princess." Elena's eyes widen and she frowns.

"You aren't supposed to be able to love. Seeing as what you are." He frowns as well.

"I may be a vampire but I have not lost my humanity Eleniana." Elena scowls at the use of her full name. "You would do well to remember that it was me who turned you." He starts towards her but she flashes away and he groans.

****

"Elijah." He turns at the sound of her voice.

"My love." He embraces her with a kiss to her lips. "How is Caroline?"

"She's not good. She wants to forgive Klaus but she doesn't want to get hurt." Elijah sighs as Elena rests her head on his chest. "Would he hurt her?"

"I have seen the way my brother looks at that girl." She looks up at him. "But I don't know the full extent to his abilities."

"If he ever hurts her, physically or mentally, he'll wish he never turned me." Elijah sighs but rests his chin on his beloved's head.

****

"Klaus." Caroline walks in on the king and queen having a serious discussion. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'll just go.."

"Oh, it's alright dear. We were just finishing up." She walks over with a smile on her face. "You were looking for my son?"

"Yes. I just- I really need to talk to him." She nods her head in the direction of the hallway. "Have you seen him?"

"Yes. I believe he left for a hunt just now. I am to believe you know what my husband and children are?" Caroline stops walking and she turns to face her.

"Not you?" She smiles.

"No. I'm a witch."

"I'm sorry. I just assumed." Esther nods her head. "Well, when you see Klaus please tell him I'd like to speak to him."

"Will do. Would you like an escort back to your room?" Caroline shakes her head and she smiles before heading off. The princess decides to head back to her room for a nap.

****

"Princess." The voice is loud in her ear and she's jolted out of her sleep. "The prince is back from his hunt. He's in really bad condition but he's asking for you." Caroline jumps out of her bed and speeds to his room. She can hear voices inside and they instantly stop when she enters.

"Klaus." She can barely recognize him. His clothes are torn and there are bites and tears all up and down his body. The bleeding is uncontrollable. "What happened?"

"We were hunting down a rogue vampire when they attacked. They were at least ten times as fast and their fangs were deadly." Elijah is talking too fast and Caroline starts to hyperventilate. "Are you alright princess?"

"No, I-." She doesn't finish because at that moment it seems as if she's become connected with Klaus and she falls unconscious. Elijah catches her effortlessly.

"Everyone leave." The doctors and the maids stare at him. "NOW."

"You sent for Kol and the ladies handmaiden. Why?"

"Kol is family and the handmaiden is a witch." He sets Caroline in the bed next to his brother. "A Bennett."

"The Bennett's are more powerful even than I."

"That is precisely why I sent for her." He then turns to his mother and father. "I believe Caroline to be Niklaus' mate."

"That is not possible. His werewolf side was made dormant centuries ago." Elijah is about to reply when Bonnie and Kol arrive.

"Caroline." Bonnie runs to her ladies' side. "What happened to her?"

"She may have connected with Niklaus. On a werewolf level." Bonnie furrows her eyebrows as Caroline starts moving her head back and forth in her unconsciousness.

"No. No." She waves her hands around and almost hits the witch in the process. "Stop. You're hurting him." Her arms drop and she goes silent.

"We need to figure out what's happening or I have a bad feeling of what might happen."

Meanwhile

"Klaus you have to get up." Caroline grabs Klaus up under the arms and tries to hoist him up. "Please or he'll find us." Klaus shakes his head, disoriented, as he processes the girls' words. He tries standing but quickly falls back into her arms.

"I- I can't." Caroline feels tears rush to her eyes as she hears those familiar pounding footsteps.

"Please Klaus. You have to." She can't help but feel remorse for the person hunting them. Klaus had ruined their life. "For me. Do it for me." Hearing those four words has Klaus hoisting Caroline onto his back so he can whoosh them away. "You did it."

"I've tried to get into both of their heads but all I've seen are outlines of people and blurs." Bonnie sighs and flips another page of her grimoire.

"Oh my god." Bonnie stares at the page in disbelief.