Chapter 9: A Wedding

"Time to get ready, my lady." The maid follows Caroline as she heads to her room, where her wedding dress is waiting. "It's beautiful."

"It was my mother's." Caroline runs her hand along the silky fabric. "Send for Rebekah."

"Of course, my lady." The maid bows before leaving the room and Caroline sits at the mirror, staring at her reflection. The door opens and Rebekah enters.

"Are you nervous?" Her friend sets a hand on Caroline's shoulder.

"A little. This is the most important day of my life." She takes a deep breath and then looks into Rebekah's eyes in the mirror. "Seeing as you've been around for a long time, would you do something with my hair?"

"Of course I would." Rebekah gets to work on Caroline's hair.

****

"Big day, brother." Klaus fixes the cuffs of his suit as Elijah walks in. "Almost time for you to go in."

"I know." He turns to his older brother and smiles. "I have a good feeling about today."

"As do I." Just then a maid rushes in, bowing before the two princes.

"It is time, my lord." Klaus nods and smiles again, following after the girl.

****

"It is time, my ladies." Caroline gets into position, standing in front of the doors while Rebekah, Elena, and Bonnie stand behind her. The moment those doors open and she catches a glimpse at the crowd, her heart drops. Her parents aren't there.

"They aren't here." She turns around, ready to leave but all three girls stop her. "My parents aren't here."

"They couldn't make it Caroline. There's a food famine happening in Mystic so they had to stay behind but hey." Rebekah meets her friends. "You can do this. Turn around and look at the people. What do you see?"

"I see.. hope and adoration. They're waiting for a ruler." Her eyes sweep the room until they land on Klaus'. "I see that ruler. Strong and determined to keep his people alive."

"Exactly and you are the one he needs by his side. Ready and willing to keep him feeling safe." Caroline feels the fear lift off of her heart and she stands up straight. "Are you ready now?"

"I'm ready." Rebekah whispers to someone and they whisper to another person who starts playing a tune on the organ and Caroline takes that as her cue to start walking. All eyes are on her as she walks down the aisle, the long train on her dress trailing behind her.

When she finally reaches the front and stands next to Klaus, her eyes find his again, she sees nothing but love in them

When she finally reaches the front and stands next to Klaus, her eyes find his again, she sees nothing but love in them. "We stand before you today to join the kingdoms of Mystic and Mikaelson in unity. Are there any objections to this union? Speak now or forever hold your peace."

"Let us continue." He gestured for both parties to kneel and sign the wedding contract. Caroline and Klaus stand up after, facing each other as the wedding continues. "Do you Prince Niklaus Henry Mikaelson take Princess Caroline to be your wife and future queen?"

"I do." His eyes meet hers and they both smile, her cheeks deepening in color.

"And do you Princess Caroline Elizabeth Forbes take Prince Niklaus to be your husband and future king?"

"I do." Her answer is certain and proud. She wants to marry him.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride." Both lean in to kiss and Caroline suddenly sits up in her bed.

"What the hell?" She looks at the time on her phone. 3:37 am. She rubs her eyes and slides out of her bed, grabbing a robe to put over her pajamas. She throws her hair up into a ponytail and dials Elena's number. "Hey, I just had the strangest dream."