Chapter 21: End of the Beginning

Caroline's heavy eyelids slowly flutter open and she sits up, her head pounding furiously as she takes in the dark room around her. So she hadn't escaped, Mikael had only made it seem like she had. Groaning she stands and walks over to the bars keeping her inside. Caroline tries to grab the bars but winces in pain when vervain seeps into her skin. "Really funny Mikael."

"You're awake." Recognizing Alina, Caroline's face scrunches in disgust.

"You put that scene in my head, made me think I escaped." Caroline scoffs as the fake scene runs through her mind. "I actually trusted you."

"You have to understand, I'm only helping him to keep my family safe."  Caroline lets out a short laugh and bites her lip.

"You really had me going with that sob story about your family. I actually believed you." Walking to the back of her cell Caroline sits on the floor with her back pressed to the wall. "And you're going try spinning it to me again. Please leave."

"I really am sorry." Realizing that Caroline won't believe her, Alina walks back upstairs. Caroline glances out the window at the full moon high in the sky.

"I miss you." She hadn't even realized she'd said it and she knew who it was meant for. Klaus. Caroline probably wouldn't admit it out loud but she did love him. Despite what her friends felt or how they would feel if they found out, Caroline Forbes loved Klaus Mikaelson and no one could change how she felt. She just wanted to see him again.

****

"Ah the famous Niklaus Mikaelson." Klaus grimaces at the use of his full name as he meets the eyes of the two-thousand-year-old witch named Qetsiyah. "How thrilling to finally meet you."

"Likewise." Qetsiyah smirks and walks over to the table filled with spellbooks and Caroline's things. "Can you help us or not?"

"Straight to the point, I like him." Qetsiyah laughs as she points to Klaus but he's getting impatient.

"Listen I don't care if you're some powerful witch, Caroline is in danger and if we don't get to her soon, she will die." Qetsiyah's eyes widen as a wide smile breaks out on her face.

"You really do love her don't you?" She can tell just from his eyes, hiding the pain and fear he felt. "No more distractions, we're heading to the high school."

"Are you sure we're ready?" Bonnie steps forward, worry etched on her face.

"Mikael may have witches, but none of them have the two thousand years of experience that I have and are no match against me. He has no idea who he's up against." Qetsiyah's eyes meet Klaus' again. "We're going to get her back."

****

"Fiesty, isn't she?" Mikael laughs as Caroline struggles against her restraints. He looks over at a witch who gives him a firm nod. "Niklaus is almost here."

"You won't succeed in killing me, Klaus will stop you." Mikael chuckles darkly under his breath, his eyes meeting Caroline's. "You have no idea how powerful he actually is, do you?"

"He has witches, I have witches. We are both originals, no matter if he is an abomination with a wolf side." Caroline smiles slyly but hides it before Mikael can see her face. "We will win, little vampire. It is time for that imposter of a son to die."

"Henrik would be ashamed of you." Caroline stares defiantly into the older vampire's eyes as her nostrils flare.

"Do not speak of my late son as if you have met him." Mikael glares as his hand twitches, itching to take one of the stakes off of the table and plunge it into her heart. He ignores his urge, instead turning to look out the window. Mikael smiles as his eyes catch onto a familiar figure approaching the building. "He's here." Quickly turning to the witches that have suddenly filled the room. "He looks to be alone but do not underestimate him. He may be an abomination but Niklaus is still strong, stronger after activating his wolf side." Mikael grabs the only white oak stake from the table as the witches gather around and he stands poised, ready to fight. "Now is the end of the era of Niklaus Mikaelson."

This is the end of book 1. Keep an eye out for book 2, YOU AND I.