Chapter 19: Love

"Nik, Nik throw the ball over here!" Klaus looks back and forth between his two brothers. He looks down at the ball in his hand before throwing the ball to Elijah and making a run for it. It isn't long before he's tackled to the ground.

****

Klaus is about to fall asleep when he hears whimpering coming from Rebekah's room. He slides out of his bed and enters her room. "Bekah?"

"Go away." The thunder booms and the lightning flashes making Rebekah shriek and hide deeper under her blanket. "Nik I'm scared."

"Well go on then, scoot over." Rebekah peeks her head out of the blanket and makes a spot for her older brother on the bed. Klaus slides in and wraps his arm around her tightly. "There's nothing to be afraid of Bekah, you're safe."

"I won't die from it?" Klaus chuckles under his breath and shakes his head.

"Not while I'm here sister, you'll always be safe." Rebekah smiles and snuggles in closer to her brother.

"Promise you'll never leave us Nik." When Klaus doesn't answer she jabs his side making him wince. "Promise."

"I promise."

****

Klaus gasps loudly as he sits up in his bed, sweat dripping down his chest and back. He slides out of the bed and quickly walks over to the other side of the room. He pushes open the balcony door and leans his hands against the railing, letting the cool air wash the sweat from his body. Here he was remembering old promises when Caroline was in danger. Klaus hears his phone ringing from inside the bedroom so he walks back inside the house and answers. "Yes?" The person on the other end sounds frantic. "Will Qetsiyah be willing to help us?" Klaus listens as the other person explains something. "I'll be there." He ends the call and shoves his phone into his pocket, throwing a shirt over his head.

****

"Qetsiyah please, I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important." Elena paces back and forth as she holds the phone to her ear and pleads with the two-thousand-year-old witch. "We got rid of Silas with you, we didn't have to help you." Elena rolls her eyes at Qetsiyahs reply. "This is the only favor I'll ever ask of you." Elena beams as she stops pacing. "Thank you so much, you won't regret this." She takes the phone away from her ear and presses the end call button as she turns to the rest of the group. "She's in."

"Okay, we'll fill her in on the plan when she gets here. As for the rest of you, you know what you need to do." Klaus dismisses the rest of the group and turns to Elena and Bonnie. "This better work."

"It will work Klaus, we care about her just as much as you." Klaus looks away out the window.

"I don't know what you're going on about."

"If you didn't care about her, even in the slightest, you wouldn't be doing this." Elena smiles and gestures for Bonnie to follow her outside. The two girls exit the room, leaving Klaus alone with his thoughts.

****

"Phasmatos trancendia motum." The witches chant and the flames rise as Caroline twists her wrists in the ropes binding them together. She watches Michael intently as he paces back and forth. "The barrier is up."

"Good". Mikael turns to Caroline as the witch dismisses herself. "Your death is soon coming my darling."

"Please don't ever call me that again." Caroline makes a fake gagging noise as Mikael chuckles under his breath. She again twists in her ropes and Mikael walks over. "Klaus won't let you kill me."

"He doesn't have a choice in this." Mikael walks around her in a circle as the rain pours outside the window. "It's beautiful to see the beast suffer."

"You-." Her sentence is interrupted by Mikael wrapping his hands around her neck and snaps it.

"Finally, some peace and quiet."

****

"He's really protected this time." Elena paces back and forth in front of Klaus and Bonnie and then turns towards her best friend. "You called in some more witches?"

"Yes, they should be here any second." As Klaus finishes his sentence the door opens and four witches walk in. "We need to get to work."

"Alright Niklaus, no need to rush us."

"If you don't work fast enough, Caroline will die." The witch backs away with a surprised look on her face.

"You really care about her." The witch looks more closely at Klaus' face. "You love her."

"I'm not in the mood for your accusations, get to work." Klaus turns away from the women and storms out of the room, the door slamming shut behind him.

****

Caroline's eyelids flutter open slowly and her head swings to look around the room. She jumps a little when she feels a small hand touch her arm. Caroline turns to face one of the younger witches. "You're the one the hybrid loves, yes?"

"Well, I wouldn't say loves. We are talking about Klaus right?" The witch nods and Caroline sighs. "There's no way Klaus loves me. I mean he's the big bad wolf, cold-hearted."

"Mikael asked us to spy on you, open a window on your life." The witch smiles at Caroline. "He's different with you, happier."

"He's Klaus." The witch thinks for a moment before grabbing a chair and helps Caroline sit on it. "Thank you. Wait." Caroline turns to face the witch with a puzzled look on her face. "Why are you being so nice to me?"

"Mikael is forcing me to help him, he's threatening my family." The witch pulls out a photo containing a man about her age and two little boys. "They're my whole world and I would do anything to keep them safe."

"I don't doubt that." Caroline looks around the empty room again. "Where's Mikael?"

"He's trying to find every bit of white oak." The young witch bites her lip. "If I help free you, can you protect me and my family?"

"I will do every possible thing to keep everyone safe." The witch nods before untying her hands and Caroline rubs her sore wrists. "I never got your name."

"Alina." Alina hears voices getting louder as the other witches approach the room. "We should go."

"Yeah." The witch parts the barrier slightly so the two of them can slip through. "Thank you."

"I can see that you would do anything to protect your family as well." Caroline smiles at Alina before the two leave the building.