nine

DISCLAIMER: this chapter includes under-age drinking that may be uncomfortable for some reader, I do not condone this behaviour so please read with caution

Ava felt her heart stop. She didn't understand what was going on. She could only hear the whispers and buzz around her. Slowly, she turned to look at Harry. He wore the same expression as her, but worse. He looked stunned. Every angry head had turned to look at him.

At the top table, Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.

"Harry Potter!" he called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

"Go on," Ava whispered, giving Harry a slight push.

She didn't know why but she got up with Harry  and took his hand. They set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. It felt like an immensely long walk; the top table didn't seem to be getting any nearer at all, and she could feel hundreds of eyes upon them. The buzzing grew louder and louder. After what seemed like an hour, they were right in front of Dumbledore, feeling the stares of all the teachers upon him.

" You may accompany him miss Lupin," said Dumbledore. He wasn't smiling.

They went through the door out of the Great Hall and entered a small room. Viktor Krum, Cedric Diggory, and Fleur Delacour were grouped around the fire. They looked strangely impressive, silhouetted against the flames. Harry and Ava were standing awkwardly in the corner like little kids scared of the adults. Neither of them had spoken a word since Harry was declared as the fourth champion.

The door behind them opened, and a large group of people came in. Professor Dumbledore was now looking down at Harry, who looked right back at him, his expression hidden behind the half-moon spectacles.

"Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry?" he asked calmly.

"No," said Harry. He was very aware of everybody watching him closely.

"Did you ask an older student to put it into the Goblet of Fire for you?" said Professor Dumbledore.

"No," said Harry vehemently.

The professors started arguing loudly, whilst Harry went back next to Ava taking her hand like a little child. They wanted Harry to compete, they said that he had no choice. Ava couldn't let that happen, she felt the need to protect her best friend.

"It's impossible, he can't compete. Harry's only fourteen, he doesn't have the knowledge required for the tournament. It is against the rules." She said loudly, breaking the buzzing of the adult's bickering.

"I'm afraid we don't have a choice miss Lupin." said Dumbledore gloomily " Harry will have to compete."

They informed the champions of the first task to come and Ava felt petrified, Harry would never make it.

"Harry, Cedric, Ava I suggest you go up to bed," said Dumbledore, smiling at both of them. "I am sure Gryffindor and Hufflepuff are waiting to celebrate with you, and it would be a shame to deprive them of this excellent excuse to make a great deal of mess and noise."

Harry glanced at Ava and then Cedric, who nodded, and they left together. The Great Hall was deserted now; the candles had burned low, and the tables were empty.

On the way up to the common room, Harry didn't speak. He left Ava making conversation with Cedric. He was too busy trying to organise his brain. At the marble staircase, they parted ways and she hugged the Hufflepuff goodbye.

They faced the Fat Lady's portrait and Ava placed her hands on Harry's shoulder.

"Look before we go in, we need to talk."