twelve

It was the end of the Transfiguration lesson; they had finished their work; they had copied down their homework from the blackboard and stored away the guinea pigs they were transfiguring. The bell was due to ring at any moment, Ava and Hermione were chatting about their Herbology project  and Ron and Harry were duelling with fake wands.

"The Yule Ball is approaching — a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above — although you may invite a younger student if you wish —"

All of the girls started whispering amongst them whilst the boys didn't seem very happy. Lavender let out a very unpleasant giggle.

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued," and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then —"Professor McGonagall stared deliberately around the class." The Yule Ball is, of coursework , a chance for us all to — er — let our hair down," she said, in a disapproving voice.

The bell rang loudly and the students all rushed outside, chatting amongst themselves. Ava went up to Harry and Ron only to hear them complaining.

"Oh for goodness sake, we need to dance, to wear dress robes and  to find a date," he sighed counting on his fingers," this is a bloody nightmare."

"At least you don't have to dance in front of the whole fricking school," said Harry.

" Oh gosh, I can't wait to see you dancing, it's gonna be hilarious," laughed Ava.

"Shut up it's not funny," he nudged her with his elbow.

" So who do you want to go with ?" asked Ron.

"I don't know yet, maybe Dean or Fred or one you," she grudged, not wanting to sound too enthusiastic. She actually wished Fred would ask her, it was the first thing that came to mind when Professor McGonagall announced the ball. She was starting to really fall for him. Her stupid crush wasn't so stupid anymore, she was starting to catch feelings, a thing she didn't really like. Growing up with only her dad she always felt like a part of her was missing. Even though her father was the person she loved the most in the world, she always felt like she needed more. She wanted to share her love with someone. She wanted to give affection more than anything else, that's maybe why she was a very touchy person. Boy or girl it didn't matter, she just wanted someone to love.

"Do you guys want to sleep in our room tonight ?" asked Ron. They had been doing sleepovers since their first year, it was often in the boy's dormitory since the other girls didn't really want guys in their room. They would do normally do it once a week, but since Ron and Harry's fight, they didn't get a chance.

"Oh yeah. It's been forever since the last time we came over," cheered Hermione.

"We'll go grab our stuff after dinner and  then come to your room."

"Great, we'll see you tonight," Harry said as they parted ways. Ron and Ava went to Muggle Studies and Harry and Hermione made their way up the Gryffindor tower.

"So who do you want to go with Ronnie ?" she said as they made their way up the stoned staircase.

"I don't want to go at all," he shrugged.

"Oh come on, don't be such an ass. I know those french girls make your head turn," she snickered.

" Oh, I've seen you watch too Lupin," he laughed. Ava had come out to her friends last summer, on their ride back home. After kissing Cho Chang, she realised the butterflies in her stomach meant that she wasn't as straight as she thought. She had her first doubts when seeing Cameron Diaz in a muggle movie and thinking wow she's  smoking hot. Her friends were very supportive and had no worries at all regarding the subject, but she had asked them not to tell anyone yet since she wanted to fully be comfortable with her sexuality first.

After dinner, Ava went with Hermione up to their room to get their spare clothes. She took a small bag and packed inside her toothbrush, her red flannel pyjama bottoms and a tank top. They made their way up the wooden stairs and knocked on the large door. Ron greeted them in his Chudley Cannons' pyjamas. The black stove stood in the center of the circular room and four beds were placed around, each had their own nightstand and trunk. Ron's bed had Molly's signature knitted blanket laying messily on top but Harry's was neatly done.

They sat on the floor, Ava had her back against the bed and was playing with Ron's hair who's head was  in her lap, whilst  Harry and Hermione had their back against each other.

"Can you do our makeup please ?"  Ron pleaded with puppy eyes.

" I knew you would ask, so lucky for you I brought my makeup bag," said Ava.

Harry and Ron childishly hopped on the bed, closing their eyes and waiting for the girls to start. Hermione did Harry's makeup whilst Ava did Ron's. She opted for a glamourous look, she applied some bright red lipstick, a thick winged-eyeliner and some glitters.

" I'm done," she said, handing him a mirror.

"I look fabulous," he said, admiring himself.

Hermione had given Harry quite the makeover. He had eyeliner, black lipstick and she had drew some hearts in black under his eyes.

"You look like Myron Wagtail from the Weird Sisters," laughed Ron.

"That was my inspiration for the look," smiled Hermione.

"Let me take a picture," said Ava taking her polaroid camera.

After checking the angle, she placed the camera on the nighstand and set the timer. She ran to the group and they posed. The photo came out great, Ava was on Harry's back whilst Ron had his arm around Hermione.

After playing some games and listening to music on the radio, they all laid down on Harry's bed.  Ron was laying on Ava's chest, Hermione was using her arm as a pillow and Harry laid his head on Hermione's legs. They slept tangled like that all of the time, no one questioned it. Everybody knew their love and friendship was only platonic and when Dean and Seamus came up to the room and found them laying messily on top of each other, they only smiled to themselves.