twenty-four

Fred couldn't stop thinking about Ava. Since that summer, he couldn't take his eyes off her. It was the summer after third year and she had stayed at the Burrow for a couple of weeks. He saw her in a whole new light, she wasn't Ron's innocent little best friend anymore, she was a beautiful teenage girl that he had a huge crush on. He thought his little crush would fade away after a while, but it never did. It kept growing, and before he knew it, he had caught feelings. This had never happened to him before, he was a player and he knew it. His friends called him the manwhore and he didn't bother correcting them. He was a fuckboy and he was proud of it. But what he felt for Ava was different, he felt everything she felt, seeing her sad shattered his heart and seeing her happy made his day. Whenever she entered the room, he felt relieved and euphoric, she lit every place she walked in. There could be a thousand girls around, he would only look at her. He had never had those feelings before, and he didn't quite know how to describe or express them.

Every time he kissed her, he felt firework erupt in his stomach. Their lips fit perfectly together, and he was always craving for her touch. But this was complicated since they weren't dating. He had a feeling that she like him too, but he didn't want to rush her, especially with Cedric still on her mind. He'd just have to wait, but that didn't bother him, he loved flirting.

***

Ava was sitting at the wooden table, eating dinner. It was Friday night, their week had been exhausting, the professors made sure that every student was practically drowning in work to prepare for the OWLS that would take place at the end of the year. Plus, quidditch training was draining, Angelina was training them as soldiers. She was an amazing captain, that's for sure, but she underestimated her teammate's mental capacities immensely. They were training harder than ever, preparing for their next match against Slytherin which was bound to be brutal. But Ava liked being busy, it kept her mind off things, she didn't have time to let her brain wander to sinister places. She could just focus on schoolwork, which to her great surprise, was doing pretty good, not as good as last year but above average. She was still very confused, she liked Fred and she was pretty sure he liked her, but she felt guilty of course. Cedric was still on her mind most times, she needed time, if she dated Fred now she would feel uncomfortable.

The weather was still pretty warm, the late  summer breeze was floating around so the golden quartet decided to stroll around the lake after curfew like they often did. Of course, Ron had snuck to the Kitchens and prepared the biggest picnic ever. Harry was in charge of them sneaking out without getting caught, with the use of the invisibility cloak and the map of course. Hermione had brought a few books so that she could read to them like she often did and Ava had brought a disposable camera, a radio and a deck of cards. They met up in the common room once it was empty and snuck out of the castle successfully. Once they were outside, they set a blanket onto the grass near a tree and arranged the picnic, Ron had even packed a few butterbeers. Hermione had learned a spell to warm the lake's temperature, so they all took a swim before drying off and eating. In the water, they played fight, and of course, the team Ron-Ava won.

Harry was laying in Ava's lap whilst Ron and Hermione were sitting back to back. She was absentmindedly playing with his raven black hair like she often did.

" Let's play fuck marry kill," said Ron, stuffing his face with liquorice wands.

" Okay, I'll start," said Ava looking at Harry. "Harry marry, fuck and kill Ginny, Cho and Parvati."

" Hmm," said Harry blushing madly, " I'll marry Ginny, fuck Cho and kill Parvati." Ron was looking at him intensely, his expression unreadable.

" Okay, Hermione. Fuck, marry, kill Ron, Mclaggen and Fred," said Harry, a wide grin on his face. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Hermione was now a crimson colour, the moon illuminating her red cheeks. " I'll kill Mclaggen, marry Ron and umm fuck Fred."

Ava's hand flew to her mouth, shocked at her best friend's words. " Oh my god Hermione," she laughed. Ron seemed conflicted between blushing and getting mad.

" Ron, your turn," she said. " Ava, Lavender or Padma."

" I'll marry Ava, fuck Lavender and kill Padma," he said unfazed, his mouth now full of pumpkin pasties.

" What do you guys have against the Patil sisters, they're beautiful. If you don't want her Ron, I'll gladly take Padma," replied Ava.

" Oh we know," they said in unison. "Your turn now, Fred, Dean or Cho"

" Well I already did Cho, so I'll kill her. Then technically I should marry the person I want to fuck the most because marriage is never-ending sex, so I'll marry Fred. And I guess I'd like to try it once with Dean."

" I wish I did Cho," said Harry," is she a good kisser ?"

" Boy if you knew," she laughed, ruffling his hair. " Wait, if you think about it, I've gotten with more girls than both of you combined," she said pointing at Ron and Harry.

" Oh don't rub it in our noses," laughed Ron, getting up and picking her over his shoulder. She kicked him so he would let go, but he just clumsily fell on top of her. They ended up rolling down the grass up to where Hermione and Harry were sat. They then danced to the muggle radio, twirling and jumping around in the grass.

Those were the moments Ava loved, those careless moments, where she felt happy. She felt like she could conquer the world with those people. They were her entire world. She didn't need a lover, she loved those guys with all her heart. They made her happy in a way that was indescribable. She just wanted to keep them safe, but she knew that would never be possible. She would just do her best, even if that meant putting herself at risk. She would sacrifice herself any day if that meant the ones she loved would be protected. She hated feeling powerless and most of all she hated the inevitability of death, so she tried to enjoy every moment she spent with her best friends.