fourteen

Ava opened her eyes, only to see Ginny's face so close, their noses were nearly touching.

"Merry Christmas bitch," yelled Ginny.

"Oh god what time is it, and why are you here."

"Wake up sleepy head, it's Christmas." Hermione's laugh beamed from the other side of the room.

"Okay, okay. Just give me a minute," she groaned.

" You're right 'Mione, she is not a morning person."

" Told you," she giggled.

Ava took her pillow and threw it across the room to Ginny.

" Oh, you're on."

A very aggressive pillow fight took place between the girls until Hermione had to break it apart, otherwise, someone was going to get knocked in the head. They made their way to the boy's room like they did every year, gifts in hand and still in their pyjamas.

" Merry Christmas," Ava yelled as she opened the wooden door. She dropped all her presents on the floor and jumped in Ron's open arms. She hugged him tightly and then hopped on Harry's back ruffling his hair.

They all sat in a circle near the stove, waiting for the twins to arrive so they could exchange gifts. When they opened the door Ava got up to hug George first, she waited for everyone to greet each other but then Fred approached her, standing very stiffly.

" Merry Christmas Avie," he smiled sadly as he opened his arms.

" Merry Christmas Freddie," she wrapped her small arms around his torso and he tightened his grip on her waist. They stayed like this for a minute, but time seemed to have slowed.

"Hem hem," coughed George, grinning widely.

They reluctantly broke apart and Fred kept his arms on her waist at little longer before scratching his neck embarrassingly. They all sat and started trading presents. She got a book from Hermione, a sweater from Mrs Weasley, a broomstick polishing kit from Harry, a box of Bertie Bott's from Ron, some chocolate frogs from George and a bracelet from Ginny. But there was a small golden box at her feet that she hadn't opened yet, there was no name on the box, only a heart. She opened the box only to see a golden necklace, with a small snitch charm hanging. Her heart skipped a beat, this was the necklace she had seen in Hoegsmade with Fred, she had told him it reminded her of her mom but when she saw the price tag she decided to not buy it. Normally she couldn't accept a gift like that but this one was special, the fact that he remembered made her heart flutter. She took her eyes away from the necklace and looked at him, his gaze was fixed on her face, staring at her intensely. She smiled at him and mouthed a "thank you", his smile was so genuine as he blew her a kiss.

The girls went back to their room to get dressed for the day. Ava let her fingers linger on the beautiful necklace hanging around her neck as she stared at herself in the mirror. It was honestly the best present she had ever received and she couldn't tear her eyes away from the small snitch.

They spent most of the morning in Gryffindor Tower, where everyone was enjoying their presents then returned to the Great Hall for a magnificent lunch,which included at least a hundred turkeys and Christmas puddings, and large piles of Cribbage's Wizarding Crackers.They went out onto the grounds in the afternoon; the snow was untouched except for the deep channels made by the Durmstrangand Beauxbatons students on their way up to the castle.

They decided to have their annual snowball fight before the ball. They broke into two teams: Ron, Harry and Ava on one side and Fred, George and Ginny on the other. Hermione chose to sit and watch, a book in hand.