nineteen

Today was the third task. To say that Ava was stressed was an understatement, she felt like she was the one going in that maze. They were currently eating lunch in the Great Hall since the task would only start in a few hours. Ava was eyeing the Hall trying to look for Cedric but he was nowhere to be seen, he must be preparing for the task she thought.

"Potter, the champions are congregating in the chamber of the hall after lunch," she said.

"But the task's not till tonight!" said Harry.

"I'm aware of that, Potter," she said. "The champions' families are invited to watch the final task, you know. This is simply a chance for you to greet them."

Ava hugged Harry goodbye and made her way back to the common room with Ron and Hermione. There, they sat on a table next to Fred and George who were doing business, as usual. Fred noticed Ava's behaviour and swung his arms over her shoulder, holding her tightly.

" Hey, don't worry, Potter's gonna be fine. He's always fine," he reassured.

" It's not Harry I'm worried about. I know he's strong. I'm just worried about Cedric."

" I'm sure pretty boy Diggory can manage," he teased.

"Don't call him that. You're just jealous because you couldn't enter the tournament," she playfully punched his arm.

" Me, jealous? Have you never heard of Weasley supremacy darling? It's a very common fact."

She rolled her eyes at him. " Oh shut up."

***

The sun had set and they were all making their way up to the stands. The band was playing loudly and the students cheered on. Ava caught a glimpse of yellow robes and pushed her way through the crowd. When she arrived in front of him, his eyes glistened and he tackled her in a hug. He looked her deep in the eye before pressing his lips on hers. The kiss was beautiful but it felt different. As if it was the last one they would share. Ava didn't like that feeling one bit, so she grabbed his robes and pulled him closer, deepening the kiss.

" Hum hum," coughed Harry, who was standing there awkwardly. " Could I talk to Ava for a minute ?"

They reluctantly pulled apart and she hugged him tightly before whispering " Good luck." She then turned to face Harry, pulling him in a hug.

" How are you feeling ?" she muttered.

" Not very good. But I feel more ready than last time."

" Don't worry, you'll be brilliant. Could I ask you a favour ?"

" Sure."

" Keep an eye out for Cedric. I know he's competition, but please make sure he's okay."

" You can count on it," comforted Harry.

She kissed him on the cheek and wawed Cedric goodbye before making her way back to her seat.

The sky was clear and the stars were shining brightly, illuminating the maze. Ava and her friends were able to get front seats since Hermione had made them arrive extra early. She was squished in between Hermione and Fred, nervously bouncing her leg. Fred soothingly squeezed her thigh, trying to calm her down.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand! Tied in the first place, with eighty-five points each —Mr Cedric Diggory and Mr Harry Potter, both of HogwartsSchool!"

The cheers and applause echoed through the night sky. Ava jumped up whilst wolf-whistling at the boys. Her boys.

"In the second place, with eighty points — Mr Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!"More applause. "And in third place — Miss Fleur Delacour, ofBeauxbatons Academy!"

The champions circled around him whilst he muttered some information. They then positioned themselves in front of the towering edges, and when the whistle blew, they hurried into the maze.

" And now we wait," sighed Hermione whilst taking Ava's hands.

Hours had passed, Fleur and Krum had already come back a while ago, looking very distraught. But Harry and Cedric were nowhere to be seen. Ava felt her breath quicken with every minute passing, ready to have a heart attack at any moment. As she was about to sit back down, a scream echoed through the night. Her head shot up and there, laying on the grass was Cedric. Harry was clutching his chest tightly, sobbing.

" He's back, Voldermot's back. C-Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him, not here."

Ava pushed Fred's arm who was trying to hug her and ran through the crowd, pushing anyone in the way. She jumped over the fence but stopped when she came near Cedric. He was livid, blood and cuts ruining his beautiful face. It looked like the joy and happiness had been sucked out of him. She knelt down next to Harry, pushing him to grab Cedric's face.

" No, no, no. You promised, you promised me Ced. You can't fucking do this to me. I need you, I need you," her voice broke as she screamed at the top of her lungs, tears streaming down her face. She gripped his chest in her arms, afraid that he would slip away if she let him go.

" I love you, please come back, please Ced. Please." Her voice was merely a whisper now, all of her strength had been sucked out.

A pair of arms grabbed her by the waist and pulled her up. Ava kicked and turned, but his iron grip was too strong. He picked her up bridal style, her head against his chest.

" Let me go, let me go. I need to be with him."

"It's gonna be okay babe. It's gonna be okay." When she heard Fred's voice, she immediately calmed down. She sobbed silently, whilst gripping his t-shirt. He brought her up to her room and placed her on her bed. He tucked her under her sheets and kissed her forehead.

"Please don't leave, I can't be alone," she sobbed. She moved over so he could have a bit of space and he sat down placing an arm over her shoulder. She rested her head against his chest and drifted asleep, crying uncontrollably.

It broke Fred's heart seeing her like that. He knew how much she loved Cedric, first as a friend and then as a lover. But seeing her this broken, he made himself a promise. He vowed to always take care of her, no matter what.

***

Ava didn't sleep much, she woke up three times during the night, screaming Cedric's name. But every time, Fred was there to hold her in his arms and stroke her hair. Ava got ready for the funeral that would be held in the Great Hall. She wore a black dress and shoes and put her long hair in a half-up half-down as Cedric loved. She looked livid, deep purple eyebags circled her eyes, and her swollen lips were bloody, she had spent the night biting them.

In the Great Entrance, she hugged Harry tightly. He was the only one who could understand her pain right now. As she was about to enter the Great Hall, she saw Cho in a corner, silently crying. Her heart broke, she loved Cedric too, they had shared moments that were unforgettable. She knew what she felt and she wanted to be with her. She walked closer to Cho and when she was in front of her, she looked at her, biting her lip to stop the tears and when Cho looked up, she couldn't hold it in anymore. As she opened her arms and hugged her tightly, she had no words but it was it, and by hugging each other, they told everything that had to be said.

They sat together for the ceremony, holding each other's hand. As Dumbledore made his speech, the students sent apologetic looks their way. Normally Ava hated pity, but this time was different, in her mind it was sympathy. All she thought about was Cedric and where he was. Her heart broke every time a memory popped up in her mind, when they were kissing underneath the moonlight or when they were running through the corridors after hours.

Soon after, the Hall emptied and she was alone. She walked up to the Hufflepuff table where he would usually sit. She took out her wand and with a spell, carved his name on the wooden table with the date of the the third task. Cedric was the definition of a Hufflepuff, he was loyal, hardworking and most of all he was just, always doing the right thing and putting others before him. She would never forget him, he was her first love.