Chapter 9

Two days after the kiss Ava strolled around the house, looking for the kitchen. She still managed to get lost in the huge mansion.

The cook had explained her that town members were able to move into the house if they wanted to. At the moment ten people lived inside the guest rooms, excluding staff. Everyone else had their own apartment in town.

He had also explained that every Sunday they ate dinner together in the grand hall. More people who didn't have a partner showed up at these. The families usually had dinner at home.

There were not many people living here, that didn't have a partner. Only 400 of 8000 of them are single. Ava shook her head.

This town was really lucky. Not only was everyone extremely good looking, they also had their lives together. People as young as twenty had children already! The thought made Ava uneasy and she thought back to her doctor's words, as she gave her the daunting news five years ago.

"I'm sorry Miss, but your chances for children are almost non-existent. You're infertile." Up until that point Ava was ready to start a family at twenty too. She was ready for it. But as soon as the diagnosis sank in her whole world crushed.

She kept her distance from people since that day, especially from men. Until Tyler came into her life she was positive to never have feelings for anybody. But now...

"Hey! Step back!" A voice yelled in panic, but it was too late. The tennis ball had already hit her head.

Ava winced and touched the throbbing place, where the ball managed to hit her.

Thankfully it wasn't bleeding.

"We're so sorry!" Ava turned to the voices. Two people, a petite girl, who looked about 19 and a buff young man, about her age bowed their heads.

Her cheeks flushed. "You don't have to bow." Nervously Ava played with her bracelet. The two looked up. "It doesn't even hurt." She touched the wound and winced. Maybe it hurt a little.

Both of their eyes dilated at her wince and a second later she was tucked in between them. "We'll treat that." The girl touched Ava's wound too and showed her a little bit of blood. "You just started bleeding." She whispered in panic.

Ava was too confused to say anything. She let both of them guide her away from Tyler's castle and to one of the smaller mansions.

"Don't worry Lu-eh..." The man stopped for a second and cleared his throat. "What is your name?"

"I'm Ava." They both smiled at each other, then looked back at the confused girl in the middle of them.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Marie." The girl to her left giggled.

"And I'm Finn." The boy smirked and winked at her, leaving Ava blushing.

"So you're the girl that Al- Tyler brought back with him. Have you had sex yet?" Finn asks causally. Ava flinched and looked at him startled.

Marie shot him a warning look.

"What do you think of our town?" She asked her instead.

"It's.. cozy and rural." Ava answered unsure. The town weirded her out slightly, as if everyone was keeping one big secret, but on the other hand she felt incredibly save and ... at home?

Marie nodded in understandment. Of course a human would not be used to their kind of living in just a few days.

They reached the doorstep and Marie pulled the door open. "After you." Finn went in instantly and Ava followed him unsure.

"Do you feel dizzy?" She shook her head at his question and Marie closed the door.

"Okay, you have to tell us if something is wrong." Worry evident in their glance.

Marie sat Ava down in one of the chairs. The kitchen had a huge table with 12 chairs, all in a dusty, pink colour. The material was soft velvet and Ava sank into it. So cozy.

The kitchen cabinets were light blue and the counters black marble with a white, random pattern.

She wondered if the one designing it was an interior designer.

Finn sat down across from her. He had a knowing grin on his face and began to speak as she looked at him.

"I see that you like my work." He stated proudly. Ava's eyes widened. "You did this? The colour combination and textures are incredible." Finn nodded and Marie groaned. "There you finally have your design friend." She gestured at Ava and rolled her eyes. "He's been nagging about MY house for months, until I let him change the kitchen and the living room."

"Her designing skills are poor." Finn replied and wrinkled his nose. Marie just looked at him in horror. "You little..." She clenched and unclenched her hands, as if she was thinking about choking him.

"Darling, I think you should treat our guest." Finn reacted with a sly grin and leaned back into the chair, hands intertwined. He looked happy at her outrage.

"You know only Anders can call me that." Marie muttered under her breath and began working on Ava's wound.

As Marie disinfected it felt as if Ava's whole scalp was on fire. Her scream barely stayed in her throat.

"Oh dear, I think we have to stitch it up." Ava looked at her in panic.

"I'm sure it's not that bad. It didn't even bleed while I was touching it and..." At the needle Marie held in her hand she backed up.

"Don't come near me with that thing." Ava warned her and Marie sighed.

"Ava, I am the pack doctor. It won't hurt. It's just two tiny stitches." Her voice was so reassuring that she sighed and sat down again. The word 'pack' totally slipped from her.

After a minute Marie was done. "See, it wasn't that bad." She grinned.

"You truly are a warrior." Finn looked at Ava and laughed as she blushed again. She felt as if he wanted to embarrass her on purpose by talking to her as if she was a little child.

Marie only rolled her eyes. "He's to stupid to act like a grown up." At that Finn's laugh died down while the other two started.

"Wanna play cards?" Marie asked both of them and they nodded. Until late in the afternoon they played various card games and baked together.

"Maybe it wasn't so bad to live here."

Ava thought to herself.