Chapter 1

On a cloudy Monday morning in the beginning of 2025 Ava left the house to go to work.
Now the important thing is, she hasn't got any neighbours near her.

Her days are mostly spend by herself, when she is not working as an architect on a construction site, yelling orders and planning with the site manager. Luckily she had to show up there only once or twice a week, other days she worked from home. Your normal 22 year old woman.

As she returned home later in the evening though everything was about to change.

"...singing here's to never grow uuuup!" Avril Lavigne played on the radio so of course Ava sang with her.

Everything seemed to be like a normal day driving home as suddenly she had to emergency brake!

Someone seemed to be laying in front of her driveway?

With lightning speed Ava got out of the car and went to the person.
Blood was running down his forehead, his arm was torn open and he was laying there unconcious. On his throat was a deep cut, only milimeters away from the carotid artery! He was lucky in that way.

"Oh my god!" She panic whispered and thought in stress off what she was supposed to do now!
The next hospital was two hours away from here by car, no one could come over that fast and she couldn't just let this young man lay here in the cold all by himself.
Ava's hand ran through her hair and her teeth started nagging at her lower lip, a sign of stress. Could she lift him?
She tried to but he had to weigh at least 90kg( about 198 lbs)!
Oh no, what was she supposed to do?

Pacing up and down in front of the stranger she thought and thought and thought.

Then it striked her. In her barn was an old wheelbarrow! She ran up to the little house and pulled it out. "This has to work!" Ava thought to herself.

With all her strength she somehow managed to place the body into the wheelbarrow. It took her amazing ten minutes to get the barrow from her driveway up the hill and to the front door.

Out of breath she slid down the wall and put her hands onto her face.

Then she slapped her knees, got up and went on to drag the man down her hallway.

Without the wheelbarrow of course. It would have caused too much dirt on the freshly wiped wood floor.
"You can do this Ava! Just believe in yourself!" With clenched teeth and sweat running down her forehead she told these sentences to herself over and over again.

Why again had her parents encouraged her to get such a big house? With the living room on the other side of the hallway???

Her knees were shaking and she started to cry out of relieve as that beast of a body laid on the huge couch.
But the breakdown didn't last long.
She began checking his wounds and bruises, ignoring that weird, tingly feeling she got while touching his skin. Whatever that was, it annoyed her.

Luckily her mum is a doctor and her dad a nurse, so she knew a lot about treating patients. Her parents had encouraged her to even get a degree as an emergency paramedic for which she was so glad now!

As she pulled off his pants panic rose. His one leg was bend awkwardly and on the other there were five deep cuts, almost looking as if a lion tried to kill him with his paw!

Shocked Ava started to clean the wounds and got ready to make a cast from gypsum for the left leg.
"What happened to you?" She whispered in concern.

Luckily he didn't have a fever and the open wounds weren't infected. That lowered the risk of him dying tonight.
But Ava knew she couldn't bring him to the hospital on her own in this state. The risk of something breaking would be too high. And an ambulance coach would have taken far too long.

Sighing Ava called her boss. She had never taken a day off before but now it seemed necessary.

After that she brang down her mattress from upstairs to have a look at the man over night, so if his health should go downhill she would be there.

*How would you have reacted to a person laying on your front porch?*