Part 5

*I'm changing back to first-person pov*

I did a quick scan of the boy that looked a little too young to be an Avenger. Brown hair, average height, sweet smile. I've always had an innate ability to read people like a book, and I could tell he was a nice person. Hopefully someone I could trust.

"Hey, I'm Vanessa. I'm not an Avenger, I just help out with the other stuff. Paperwork, cleaning, all that."

"However I think she could be an Avenger one day." Nat hints, not so subtly. The boy looks at me, intrigued.

"Well, show me what you got." He says as Nat and Steve back away, giving me space. I'm surprised at this team's willingness to fight each other.

"Uh, sure," I respond as I roll my sleeves up. Then the boy pulls his mask back over his head, making it more clear that he is a spiderman. Ohh! That makes sense.

I run towards him, ready to deliver a blow but he jumps incredibly high with ease, dodging me. I turn back and see him just before he knocks my feet out from under me. I flip up onto my feet, unfazed, and kick him in the jaw in the process. He shakes his head, surprised and we continue to fight.

After a bit of back and forth, I finally manage to get him pinned to the ground. He admits defeat and I help him up.

"Wow, you are good. I'm Peter, by the way, Peter Parker." Peter says, pulling the mask off his head while catching his breath.

"Thanks, nice to meet you, Peter." I then looked over at Nat who nodded at me approvingly. And Steve who is grinning at my victory. Nat walks up to me and hands me some water.

"Thanks"

"Yeah, you did well. And I'm serious when I say you could be an Avenger one day."

"Really? How would I do that?" I ask, intrigued.

"I could train you. Sunday is your day off, we can use that whole day. And since you live here now, I could train you after work." I smile at her proposal. It would be fun to use my training for good.

"Yeah, that sounds perfect. Thank you so much, Nat."

"Yeah, I'm looking forward to it."

*Next Sunday morning*

Nat and I have been training for about an hour now, and I have mastered everything she has taught me. I already knew all of it ahead of time, but she didn't need to know that.

"Ok, this is too easy for you. I'm gonna bring in Steve to try and change it up." Nat leaves and retrieves Steve. 

They walk into the training room and Steve gives me a friendly smile.

"Hey Vanessa, are you sure you want to fight me?" He asks. I can tell his ego thinks I can't handle it, that just makes me more sure I can.

"Yeah, let's go," I respond as we get into position. We fight back and forth for a bit, and I could tell he was going easy on me. So I decided to use one of my favorite moves, delivering a sharp kick to his side, then using his moment of weakness to pin him to the ground with my leg. He looked up at me, surprised.

"Don't take it easy on me Rogers."

"As you wish." He said, grabbing my ankle and rolling over, bringing me tumbling to the ground. He grabs my hands and holds them behind my back, restraining me from moving. Finally some good competition. I quickly elbow him in the gut and straddle him to the ground, so I am pinning him down. We are both breathing heavily and I can hear Nat pacing around us.

"That's more like it. Gotta be honest Rogers, I thought you would put up more of a fight." I tease, still holding him down. He laughs and before I could react he had me pinned underneath him. Dammit.

"Ok, you two I think that's enough. Good job." Nat says as Steve's grip on me loosens. He gets up and offers me his hand. I take it and grab my water bottle.

"That was impressive. Where did you learn to do that?" He asks as we exit the training room and down the hallway towards our rooms.

"Umm...I-I-Ummm..." I can feel my breath shorten as I remember where I grew up, the torture, the blood, the violence, the eyes constantly judging my every move, determining if I was worthy of living. My vision starts to blur as we approach my room.

"I...umm...I have to go." I say quickly avoiding the question and entering my room, closing the door before Steve could say anything. I lean back against the door and slowly slide to the ground desperately trying to calm down. I start to cry, still hyperventilating, as I suffer through the images of my past. I pull my knees to my chest and burrow my head in my hands.