Pt.17

*Authors Note*-Hey everyone! I know it's been a while but I wanted to get a longer chapter out. I think I finally am out of the writer's block for this story! (I've been contemplated who will be endgame and if I want the story to go the same as the pov series went on my TikTok acc.) And school is coming to an end this year so I expect my posting schedule for this story to hopefully go back to normal. Thank you for all the reads and votes! On with the Story!

*****

I hear murmurs of voices at unclear points around me. Everything is disoriented, I don't want to open my eyes. 

Suddenly my senses start to come back to me, slowly I can sense the light through my closed eyelids, I start to hear more distinct words...kinda. I start to taste the blood in my mouth. I can feel my back on some sort of hospital bed. My feeling is the last of my senses to come back to me and as soon as it does I feel the pain radiating from my right side.

After an undetermined amount of time, I grunt and slowly open my eyes to the blinding lights that belong to the medical wing of the compound, only to squeeze them shut in shock. I hear some shuffling beside me and then slowly open my eyes again as I feel a hand on mine. I look up and see Bucky looking at me, seemingly relieved.

"Hey Doll..." Bucky says softly as if I might break any second. I smile up at him reassuringly.

"Hey, Buck." I surprise myself with the roughness in my voice, I guess going into hours of surgery will do that to you.

"How are you feeling?" he asks, attempting and failing to smile without showing his worry.

"I'm fine Buck. I'll be fine. You know I heal fast." I say, sitting up to try and prove my point but immediately regretting my decision and groaning in pain, giving in and laying back down. Bucky lets out a forced laugh.

"I know you will be Doll, but please be careful. You lost a lot of blood." he counters. I sigh in defeat.

"How long was I out?" I ask. Bucky sits down in the chair next to my bed, still holding my hand.

"A couple of days." My eyes widen.

"A couple of DAYS?!?!?!" I practically yell, hurting my throat. I've never been out that long before. That's not right. "H-how?" I manage to ask, a little calmer than before.

"We don't know. We are trying to figure it out. You had me so worried." I give his hand a reassuring squeeze, even though I wasn't so sure.

"So how bad is it?" I ask.

"You were shot right through the side, it hit no major organs, but you lost a lot of blood, and the wound spread. I assume that is due to you continuing to fight after you got shot." Bucky gives me a disapproving yet adoring look.

"Yeah...well, we were not done yet." I try to defend myself.

"You've always been one to finish a fight." Bucky reminisces, smiling fondly at me, I smile back. His mind seems to drift and he looks away.

"What is it?" I ask, concerned.

"Steve."

"What? Is he ok?!" I demand, sitting up abruptly despite the pain that shoots through my side.

"I...I don't know..." he admits.

"What do you mean you don't know?" I ask, getting scared.

"At the end of the fight we split up for just a bit and when the fight was over he was nowhere. I'm so sorry Nessa we looked everywhere and nothing." I freeze, shock taking over my whole body. No, no, no, no. This can't be happening. Why? Why him? Why now? Why not me? A single tear trickles down my cheek and I lay back down onto the hospital bed.

"I'm gonna lay down," I say, emotionless. Bucky gives my hand one more squeeze before letting go and slowly exiting the room, shutting off the lights. I take a shaky breath and make myself more comfortable against my pillow. I stare at the wall in silence for what seems like hours, thoughts of Steve evading my mind, plaguing my thoughts. I can't take it anymore and sob quietly into the pillow. And that's how I fall asleep, crying, mourning for yet another person in my life that has become a victim because of me.

The next day I am slowly limping my way around the compound. Why have I not gotten better yet? I promised Bucky I would be ok. I have to be.

A day later I'm feeling a lot better and I'm on my feet trudging around the compound to get to the kitchen. I usually get my stress out by training for fighting, but for some reason, my body isn't ready for that yet, so stress eating will have to do for now.

I've only been in the kitchen, snacking on some chips and fruit for 30 minutes, when Tony walks in.

"Hey, kid." He greets, treating me with the same care as bucky is; like I'm about to break.

"Hey, Tony." I look back at the TV.

"I checked the surveillance footage and I thought you would want to know what happened to Steve," Tony says cautiously. My jaw clenches and I take a shaky breath, turning down the TV, giving Tony my full attention. "They knocked him out, from what I could tell he isn't dead. They just took him." he continues. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, knowing that Steve was most likely, hopefully not dead. There is a long silence before I finally respond,

"We need to find him as soon as possible. What about the trackers in his suit and shield?" I ask, searching for any real hope. Tony frowns.

"Both are unreachable, they must be intercepting the signal with something." I close my eyes, hope gone. "I'm sorry kid, we'll keep looking," Tony promises. I nod my head, giving him the most of a smile I could muster before he leaves me to my thoughts. I turn back to the TV and turn up the volume to continue watching. 

Not five minutes later I get a splitting headache. I try to ignore it for a bit to no avail, eventually giving in and searching for some ibuprofen in the kitchen. I find a bottle and pop two into my mouth. Somehow over the next hour, my headache only worsens and I find myself having to lay on the couch, the TV turned off, and the lights out to attempt to make the pain more bearable.

Instead, my headache continues to worsen and the pain spreads to my ears and they start to ring. My vision begins to blur and then everything goes black as the pain becomes too much.

NOVA

Something is speaking to me through my mind...

We have your precious captain. If you want him back we can arrange a trade.

What do you want? I managed to think back. Is this...HYDRA?

You. You will turn yourself in, in exchange for your beloved captain. If you do not come soon enough there may not be much left of him.

How can I meet you?

We will lead you to us. Come alone and unarmed or he's dead.

I inhale sharply as I come back to consciousness, the pain fading. How were they able to do that? Doesn't matter, not now anyway. All that matters is that I get Steve back, and no one can know-how. Too many people have suffered because of me, now is my chance to help him, if I don't...I'll never be able to forgive myself. It doesn't even matter if HYDRA has me under their control again, I trust the Avengers to bring me back. And if they can't...I trust them to do what is right. 

Kill me.