Part 12

I see Bucky chained to a chair similar to mine and walk up to him. As I stand next to him I see blood on his face, leftover from the fight. He looks up at me and a sly smile spreads across his face.

"Perfect, let's get out of here," Bucky says. I look down at him and shake my head, sad to see him in his brainwashed state.

"Bucky, listen to me. What these people tell you is true. Please remember." I plea. He looks at me confused. I sigh, realizing what I have to do to get him to remember.

"Fine," I say, taking his face in my hands and kissing him. At first, he just sits there, but I keep kissing him, waiting for the Bucky I know and love to return to me. My heart swells when I feel him start to kiss back. I pull away and look at him.

"Bucky?" I ask, hoping he remembers now. His face continues to contemplate something.

"Vanessa?" He finally says. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in and embrace him.

"I'm so sorry. I should have protected you." Bucky apologies. I pull back and shake my head.

"No, it's not your fault. Don't do that to yourself Bucky." I say.

"And Steve probably wants to come to talk to you now," I say, walking to the door.

"Steve? That was real? He's alive?... How?" Bucky asks. I turn back to look at him.

"Well...I'll let Steve explain that," I say, opening the door and allowing Steve inside. He brushes past me, barely sparing me a glance, and closes the door quickly behind him. What's his problem?

I lean back against the wall and notice a TV displaying camera footage from inside the cell. Oh crap. He saw us kiss. He probably hates me.

It's for the better. This way we can move on, I don't need another person to care about me just to end up dead.

I watch as he approaches Bucky and unlocks his restraints. Bucky stands up and they Both hug.

I remember how Bucky would talk about his old life before HYDRA got him. He always talked about Steve, how he was so sweet, so moral. I've heard virtually every single story about the two of them. Including how Steve was a small guy, and tried dozens of times to join the war, even lying on his medical records. I found it interesting that now Captain America lied on his medical records. But his intentions were good. There were hundreds of stories where Bucky would find Steve in an alley getting beat up because he wasn't afraid to stand up for what's right, even if it meant getting his ass beat. Bucky really missed his best friend. That is on the days he remembered his past. They would soon wipe both our memories again.

It was horrible watching Bucky remember. He would experience the pain and loss of his past all over again. He would remember how his friend is now dead, along with anyone he ever cared about. I remember being the one to comfort him. We were each other's rocks.

I break out of my trance as the door opens and Bucky walks out, followed by Steve. Bucky comes right to me and holds me in his tight embrace. I hug him back.

"Hey Doll. Why don't we get out of here? I think we owe some people an explanation." Bucky suggests. I nod and we all walk down the hallway and back into the normal compound. 

We walk into the meeting room, where Nat, Tony, Wanda, and Vision sit waiting. There is an awkward silence as I take a seat. Bucky sits next to me and Steve sits opposite Tony.

"So. Anyone care to explain what happened?" Tony questions, looking at me and Bucky. I take a deep breath and prepare myself.

"I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt any of you." I start. They all stay quiet listening for me to further explain myself. I feel Bucky's human had grab mine from under the table.