Chapter 13: The decision

"What do you mean why you?"

Paul was looking at me as if I had lost my mind. And perhaps I had. Why on earth was I still questioning this?

When the sexy werewolf claims you're the only person in the universe for him, you don't argue Stiles.

I wanted to smack myself.

But I couldn't help it either. What are the chances? The odds are astronomical. That an incredibly good looking- and as I've been gradually learning- wonderful supernatural being would be made to be with me. Insignificant, boring Stiles Stilinski.

"You're not insignificant," Paul said quietly. I winced at his voice. Great, I did it again. Thinking out loud. "And you're the opposite of boring."

I finally, really looked at him. I searched his pleading eyes. There was hope there, and excitement, but there was also hesitation. I guess I wasn't exactly showing him commitment right now. What did Sam say happens if I were to reject him? What would that do to him? Just thinking about it made my insides turn unhappily.

I stood still as I thought, the only movement was the drumming of my fingers against my thighs. I focused on those deep brown eyes and pieced it together.

First- what did Edward and Jake say? The imprint works both ways. And it can happen with anyone, at any time.

That explains why I was so concerned about him almost as soon as I met him. It explains the constant need to be near him. It explains why his scent effects me so much. It explains why I was always feeling the need to kiss him. Or why his laugh and his smile, and just a simple look from him could set my insides on fire.

"Stiles?" Paul asked, his tone a little shaky. But I couldn't speak right now. I had to think.

My eyes trailed down his body as I continued to mull it all over silently.

Lay it all out Stiles. 1. He's beautiful. 2. He thinks you're beautiful. 3. You get along. 4. He's a werewolf. 5. He's sexy. 6. He makes you laugh. 7. The universe says you're made for each other. What's there to think about?

Maybe the fact that he might be it for the rest of my life.

Or.

Maybe the fact that he lives several hours away from my entire life.

Oh god.

"What happens now?" I whispered, my eyes making it up to his face again.

He lives several hours away. He has a pack, a family. So do I. I have school, and my dad, and my future job. If he's it for me, for the rest of my life... where do we go from here? How will this work?

"You decide. You decide if you want to be with me," he said, taking a hesitant step closer.

I took a moment to picture it, to picture a future with him. I could see the two of us, curled up together in the bed of our cozy little home just on the edge of the forest here in Forks. I could see the towering trees through our massive bedroom windows. I could picture afternoons spent at Sam and Emily's, evenings at the beach. I could get a job with the local police department. But that would leave my pack and family in Beacon Hills. 16 hours away. I would have to get on a plane to see my dad, to see Scott or Derek or Lydia, or Melissa.

"What happens after I decide?" I asked him this time. His facial expression changed, pain flashing across for a split second before he reigned it in.

He gulped before speaking. "That would depend on your decision."

"If I said yes? How would we manage that? I live 16 hours away from you. My pack, my family, my life is in Beacon Hills-," he cut off my ranting.

"Stiles... if you're going to say no... if you don't want to be with me... please- please just do it. I- I need to know," he stammered. His voice broke on the last sentence, and his eyes were filled with pain. The strong, beautiful man looked like he would break. I hated it and I never wanted to see it again.