Chapter 3: La Push

The beach stretched out for at least a few miles, covered in smooth stones and driftwood that was bleached from the salt. There were only about 5 other people, and my companions informed me that none of them were wolves. Which was a bit of a relief. We could just behave as if we were sight seeing, instead of looking suspicious. I felt a presence behind me and turned to see Derek walking over with an uncertain look on his face.

"Uhh... my mom always took us on this trail that led to these tidal pools... did you want to see?" He asked shyly, his eyebrows drawn into a frown as if already expecting rejection. I was still mad and he knew it, but my expression and demeanour immediately softened at the thought.

"Sure Der... but we should bring Scott. Separating probably isn't the best idea right now," I answered with a small smile.

"Right," he said, frown returning again. I grabbed his hand and pulled him along to where Scott was currently skipping rocks across the waves. Each stone soared across the water, skipping perfectly. Stupid werewolves.

"Scotty boy! Der wants to take us to some tidal pools!" I said excitedly. His face lit up with a massive grin.

"Awesome!" He responded. "Lead the way," he gestured to Derek.

The sourwolf kept hold of my hand while Scott latched onto my other arm. Derek led us towards the tree line where a nearly invisible trail head was hidden. Once we got under the trees, it became an entirely different world. Even Derek's bulky form was dwarfed by the massive trunks surrounding us. The sun disappeared as we were transported into a misty, shady wilderness. The trail wound through the trees as if it might lead us to an alternate fairytale universe. Grandfathers beard hung from every branch, dark green moss was creeping its way up all of the tree trunks. Fallen trees had smaller trees growing from them, like a mother nursing it's young. This is a place where imagining the existence of the supernatural isn't difficult.

"This is..." I couldn't even put it into words.

"I know," Derek responded just as quietly. His voice was gentle, it was as if he spoke any louder he might wake some unseen force.

"Wow," was all Scott could manage either.

"Come on," Derek breathed, releasing my hand and moving ahead. Scott and I followed behind, our mouths still hanging open in awe. "They're not far off."

We continued down the trail for about a mile before we broke through the tree line again. There were at least a dozen different little pools of water, each being fed a little more with every wave that washed over the shoreline. Scott and I both raced to our own pool, fascinated by the tiny ecosystems contained within.

"Isaac would love this," Scott muttered. I knew he must be missing his boyfriend more than usual, and I couldn't blame him. They were even going to school together, both for veterinary medicine. The only time they were separated was when we were out on pack business like this. Deaton plans for them to take over his practice in Beacon hills, but first they're going to expand so that the three of them can work as doctors together until he's ready to retire.

My attention was still fixated on the little world in front of me. Bright purple sea urchins, neon green anemones, star fish of every shape, size and colour... and so many different types of muscles. Derek came up beside me, sharing a content smile with me before staring down below.

"Amazing, isn't it?" He asked in that quiet voice.

"Words can't express how totally cool this is," I answered back, eyes still wide and taking everything in. I could stand here for hours and never get tired of it.

"Watch this," Derek said, before sticking his hand in the water. He pressed a finger against a single spike of a sea urchin, and slowly, the rest of the spikes moved to reach for him.