Chapter 19: Home sweet...

"I missed you Lyds," I smiled into her strawberry hair.

She squeezed me tighter at my tone of voice. Only a select few would be able to detect the slight note of pain and dejection, and she was one of them. I hugged her back just as fiercely before she pulled back to inspect my face. I gave Derek a small wave as he drove off, hoping he felt at least a little better than I did right now. I doubted it.

"Well- you're going to have to get over it... because I want to hear all about him," she smirked, and there was a spark of excitement in her eyes. She hooked her arm through mine and pulled me into my own house. "Please- tell me you had the good sense to take a decent picture."

"What do you take me for?" I scoffed, before wiggling my eyes brows at her.

I had texted Lydia when we were close to home, and wasn't surprised to see her car waiting in the driveway when we pulled up to the Stilinski house. I needed my girl best friend right now.

"And that- Mr. Stilinski, is why you are my intellectual equal," she winked, before making herself comfortable on my bed while I unpacked my things.

She held her hand out for my phone expectantly, and I rolled my eyes before handing it over. I took my designated seat in my desk chair, watching her face carefully for the reaction. Which was a waste, seeing as she has an excellent poker face. As she scrolled through all of the photos from our beach date, she kept her face carefully neutral. One perfectly manicured brow rose, and I knew she must have hit some of Paul shirtless as he galavanted through the waves. They were my personal favourites. He looked young and carefree- a look I had a feeling not many got to see.

"Well well well... You know how to pick em- I'll give you that. First our very own dark and broody alpha- good riddance on that might I add. You're better off best friends- I'm glad it's worked out for both of you. But now this tanned specimen... he reminds me of Danny a little," she cocked her head, eyes intent on one of the pictures.

"Huh- now that you say that, I see it," I agreed, not minding the comparison.

Danny was one of the hottest guys in high school. We'd had a thing once, but preferred being friends. We were actually taking the same college program together. I liked to think of him as 'extended pack'- he thought the term was ridiculous, but accepted the title. As long as he wasn't actually involved in 'werewolf nonsense' as he put it.

"Okay- now that I approve of that... tell me," she demanded, handing the phone back with a wicked glint in her eye. She wouldn't rest until she had every detail. "Hurry up- before your dad gets home."

"Well- first off. He's so similar to Derek that it's actually uncanny sometimes. But- he's also so different. It's like- he's got the eyebrows, and the growling, and the attitude. He's got some anger issues, and the werewolf thing definitely amplified them. But he's also got sarcasm and he's so much deeper than he seems, like seriously a big teddy bear. He's sweet and kind, protective and flattering, and he's always touching me in some way or another. He's convinced I'm out of his league; which is insane," I started to tell her, before launching into even more detail.

As I pictured him in my mind, pictured our first date and our week together, my mood lightened. I wasn't as happy as I was when I was with him, but this was a major improvement from my attitude when I had arrived. Leave it to Lydia to know exactly what I need.

🐾 🌲 🐾 🌲 🐾

After Lydia got her fill, she went home to get some more studying in. I happily spent the rest of my day with my dad, despite wondering how on earth I was going to explain the newest, biggest revelation in my life to him. How do you say 'hey dad? I found my soulmate-my werewolf husband-the man I'm going to spend the rest of my life with. Yes, I know I only met him a week ago.' Like- no. There would be a dad-splosion. He would freak if I didn't explain it right. And I had to explain it right- because Paul... he's my future. My dad had to understand. I wouldn't be able to stand it if they didn't get along, if my dad wasn't on my side like he always had been. I took a deep breath and pushed the thoughts away for now.