Chapter 4: Vampire?

"This- is- hopeless," I wheezed between breaths.

"Come on Sti! Let's just keep going," Scott encouraged from in front of me. I glared at the werewolf's back. We had been walking/running for at least 30 minutes. And gotten no closer to the running wolves.

"Going where exactly?! We don't know these woods, our other alpha took off, I'm human, and they're obviously chasing something! So following the ones that are chasing something will one hundred percent lead us somewhere that is most definitely not our end destination where I get to sit down!" I huffed, still following Scott's lead despite my grumbling.

One thing about running with a wolf pack... I've gotten better at running. Significantly.

"Actually- you've kind of got a point," Scott conceded, slowing to a stop.

"Yeah- I usually do," I rolled my eyes. "Let's just stop here. Derek will find us when they're done whatever they're doing."

I plopped my ass on a massive fallen tree, heaving a sight of relief.

"What do you think it was?" Scott wondered, taking a seat beside me.

"Who knows? If Forks is anything like Beacon Hills..." I shrugged, letting the sentence hang.

We sat in silence for a moment, listening to the forest noises around us. Before they turned into something sinister in my thoughts, I started to talk as a distraction.

"Bet it's vampires," I joked. Scott just laughed.

"Should we just head back? We'll probably have to drive to wherever Sam was leading us right?" Scott asked in a doubtful voice.

"Better than sitting here waiting for something to come find us," I agreed. He hopped up immediately, clearly bursting with energy. Stupid werewolf stamina. I rolled my eyes dramatically before sluggishly picking myself up off the log.

"We'll follow our scent back to the beach," he instructed. I just nodded and groaned, heading in the direction Scott was going.

I had only tripped four times, falling twice. The other two times, Scott's reflexes paid off. We were nearly back to the beach when Scott was at my side in the blink of an eye, pushing me behind his body. My heart started to beat a mile a minute. Just as quickly as he tensed up, his body relaxed again and I knew it was Derek.

"Der?" I asked, and Scott nodded.

I walked forward and placed his clothes behind a huge tree trunk, knowing he would want them. I came back to stand behind Scott and wait. A few seconds later Derek emerged fully dressed, hair blown wild from his excursion. There wasn't a scratch on him, but that doesn't mean nothing happened.

"What happened?" Scott demanded before I could.

"Vampire," Derek answered. Both of our jaws dropped.

"Vampire?!" We exclaimed together. I looked him over again to be sure there were no visible wounds that needed tending.

"CALLED IT!" I yelped triumphantly, when my inspection was done.

"You've got to be kidding me," Scott scoffed.

"Not kidding," Derek grumbled, walking passed us and towards the trail that would lead us to the beach and the Camaro. As if I wasn't currently bursting with curiosity at the existence of vampires. Rude.

"Where did the others go?" I asked, trying to catch up to the speed walking werewolf.

"Back to Sam's. He gave me directions," he tossed over his shoulder. We were nearly at the car now.