Chapter 16: The Cullens

"So you must be Paul's imprint," Esme said with a motherly smile. "Such a sweet boy."

I snorted. "Sweet boy? I doubt anyone has ever referred to Paul that way before... and I've only known him a week!"

"He's sweet under that tough exterior," she winked. "Chicken wings usually soften him up nicely." I just laughed. I wonder how many times the pack has shown up in Esme's kitchen.  I found it kind of amazing how the imprinting of Jacob on Edward brought an enemy pack of werewolves and an enemy coven of vampires together. It was sort of beautiful how they had become what sounded like a family.

"I'll have to keep that in mind," I winked back. "Shouldn't be hard though! They're my favourite too."

"I'll remember that," she smiled.

Derek and Emmett had taken a walk, getting better acquainted I'm sure. Wink, wink. No, just kidding. As forward as Emmett seemed, I doubted Derek would jump into it so quickly. He's a very reserved, private person... a tough nut to crack. It had taken him years to open up to me, and to the pack. And even now, there are still many things we don't know about Derek that we knew about each other. But perhaps the mate bond would help with that part. I could only hope it wouldn't scare the vampire away. Derek needs this. The pack simply isn't enough to make him truly happy. We've all wanted this for him for years.

"It won't," Edward murmured from where he had come to stand beside me. "Emmett is... stubborn," he grinned fondly.

"I'm glad to hear it. Because Der's stubbornness and cold exterior is legendary," I responded.

"He's had a difficult life," Edward agreed. Not for the first time I wondered what might be going on in that mind of Derek's. I was absolutely jealous of Ed's gift.

"Understatement of the year," I snorted, before growing serious. "He's gone through more pain and loss than any one person ever should. He's barely survived it." I could feel Scott and Isaac's eyes on me at the statement, and I knew they agreed.

"He'll fit into the family perfectly," Jasper said from across the room, smiling small. "We all have our own tragedies that brought us here." The mysteriously quiet empath intrigued me, I wonder what his story is.

"Perhaps war stories aren't the best topic of conversation for our first meeting," Jasper smirked. Ahh, so he sensed my curiosity. But I didn't miss the 'war' part of his statement either.

"On the contrary, I think they're the perfect way to get to know each other," I argued, trying to not let my excitement show. Jasper looked like he was considering the idea.

"Awe, come on! It took me years to hear all of your stories," Bella pouted unhappily.

"What can I say? I'm a charmer," I winked at the girl. She laughed at me quietly. I looked around the room of vampires expectantly, hoping they would take me up on the suggestion. But I didn't want to pry either.

"Perhaps I should start. It all started with me after all," Carlisle chuckled darkly. That particular sound coming from the refined, optimistic vampire seemed wrong for some reason. Isaac and Scott settled themselves on the floor, while I sat beside Alice and Bella on the couch. Jake was standing in front of Edward, who had his arms around the werewolf and his chin resting on his shoulder. The rest of the vampires were standing in various positions around the room as Carlisle began his story.

"The short version is I was born in 1640," he started sombrely. "I was turned in 1663 at 23 years old. My father was an Anglican pastor, who led regular hunts for witches, vampires, and werewolves- claiming they were ridding the world of sin. Many innocent people died by their hands. My father grew older and I was able to take over the raids... I found a coven of real vampires living in the sewers of London. I was bitten and left bleeding in the streets... where I changed. I woke up after the transformation and knew what I was. I was horrified, disgusted. I tried to end my life several times- to no avail. I hadn't fed since I was turned," he paused, and I couldn't help but interrupt.