Chapter 28: Christmas

"Merry Christmas!" I shouted at my laptop screen.

Paul's musical laugh answered me, and his smile was contagious- even through the electronic device.

"Merry Christmas baby," he smiled. "Have you opened any presents yet?"

I snorted and angled the camera down towards my bed sheets and bare chest.

"It's 7am here... did you really think I was out of bed yet?" I rose a brow. Everyone knew I wasn't a morning person.

"It's Christmas morning, and you're a child," he stated bluntly, and I couldn't argue with that. "I fully expected you to have been up and ripped through all of your gifts by 6:30am- at the lastest," he teased with the smirk I loved so much.

"He's not far off," dad said as he passed my bedroom door and headed downstairs. I stuck my tongue out in his direction, knowing he couldn't see me but needing to do it anyway.

"You're supposed to be on my side!" I shouted, and heard his loud snort from the kitchen.

"Child," my mate laughed fondly at my antics.

"You love me," I wiggled my eyebrows with a smirk of my own.

"I do," he admitted with a purse of his lips.

"What do you guys do Christmas morning?" I asked with a yawn and a stretch of my limbs.

I didn't immediately get an answer, and looked to see if there was a lost connection. Instead, I found Paul staring dreamily up at me, as if lost in thought. God- this man. A warm feeling flushed across my skin at the thought that something as simple as stretching shirtless- me stretching shirtless- could get him going like that.

"Earth to Paul," I waved a hand at him with a chuckle.

The wolf came back to reality, clearing his throat and smiling shyly. This was another favourite smile of mine, because this shy, adorable smile was reserved only for me.

"I wish I was with you," he murmured, tone filled with unspoken emotions.

"You know how much I wish the same," I bit my lip, upset.

"Okay- enough of that. Go downstairs and enjoy the day with your dad, okay?" Paul smiled in a sunny way, his voice filled with as much encouragement he could muster.

"First tell me what your days going to be like," I insisted with the best smile I could manage through the sadness.

"Well- dad and I usually make a big breakfast and then we exchange gifts. Later I'm sure the pack will be heading over to the Cullen's place," he answered with a genuine grin. "I love you, Merry Christmas."

"I love you, my moon. Merry Christmas," I smiled at the screen, blowing him a kiss before hanging up the call.

I sighed heavily as I shut the laptop and set it on my bed. I buried my face in my hands, scrubbing it as if I could scrub the sadness away. I was just getting around to pulling my hair out when my dads voice interrupted.

"Knock, knock," he said in place of the action, due to his hands being full with two cups of coffee.

A spark of joy touched my heart when I caught a whiff of it. It was Melissa's Christmas coffee. Coffee with eggnog and cinnamon. God- I looked forward to this stuff every year.

I sat back and smiled in a tired way, one I knew he would see through.

"What am I gonna do dad?" I asked sadly, taking the offered cup from him and bringing it to my lips for a swig. Christmas in a cup.