Chapter 35: Battle

"Are you ready?" Emmett asked Derek quietly.

"As I'll ever be," he answered seriously, before grabbing his mates hand. Derek stood in only a pair of cut off shorts, knowing he may have to phase later in battle.

We were all standing in the clearing, far away from innocent civilians. I was between Jackson and Paul, with the rest of our pack sticking close around us. Bella was safely stowed away at the Cullen house with Larkin for protection, the fortress sealed from the inside. As a human with several vampires scents all around her, Jasper and Edward had agreed she could be in danger. We knew they were after Jake, but we couldn't be too careful. The clearing was the same one we'd practiced in the day before, wide and open, but surrounded by the towering forest that would hopefully dampen the coming noise from reaching any human ears. Bella had explained that vampires could make a real racket, having witnessed a baseball game between the Cullen's once. She'd compared the collision of their bodies to the sound of thunder.

"What is it Edward? Do you hear something?" Carlisle asked in concern, which of course forced my gaze to take in the rigid position of the mind-reading vampire.

"Victoria," He said, as if that explained it.

Edward and Alice were staring at each other, and I was bouncing on the balls of my feet as I waited for them to explain. I hated this part, the not knowing part. It was like waiting for Derek to explain why'd he shushed me countless times in the middle of the woods, at night, while we were hunting something dangerous. Infuriating and anxiety inducing.

"Of course," she breathed. "She was playing with the blind spots in my vision. Letting someone else decide."

"Letting Riley decide," Edward nodded.

"Of course she was," Emmett grumbled, brows drawn low. "Coward."

I knew that Victoria was a vampire that had been sniffing around Bella when her and Edward were together, and that she was now after Jake. It made sense that she was the one behind the army now hellbent on killing him. However, I had no idea who Riley was. It didn't seem to matter that much either.

"Do you hear anything?" Esme asked Edward, who cocked his head to the side, listening for thoughts.

"Nothing," He answered.

We were in a loose formation, wolves, humans and vampires mixing together with grave looks on their faces.

"If Victoria is behind this we must be cautious," Carlisle said seriously. "We all know how slippery she can be."

The Quileute wolves around me were nearly jumping with joy at the revelation that Victoria was involved. This confrontation had been a long time coming, all of them were growing sick and tired of the sneaky vampire's games- if Paul's complaining was anything to go on. I think some of their egos had definitely been bruised due to her constant escape, and they were all antsy to get a piece of her. Paul was swishing his tail excitedly where he stood beside me.

"Why do I get the feeling that the wolves are excited about her being involved?" I observed with a raised brow at my mate.

"Because it's been a long time coming," Emmett answered for the pack in a steely voice.

"Does her being involved change anything?" Derek asked seriously, his eyes still searching the tree line in front of us.

I could see the worry Derek held in the form of tense shoulders. He was worried about the crafty one being involved now, was worried for his pack, and for the vampire who held his hand.

"Edward will handle it," Jasper answered. "But if anyone has the opportunity to kill her- take it."

"What does she look like?" Lydia spoke up, looking fierce where she stood next to Kira.