Chapter 29: Can't we at least have Christmas?

I closed my laptop and sighed heavily, I missed him. God, I missed him.

I took a moment to collect myself, picturing his radiant smile and contenting myself with that for now. I slipped into sweatpants and didn't bother with a shirt before heading to the kitchen. Dad was already standing at the stove, bacon sizzling deliciously. I'd smelled the scent of breakfast on the air as soon as I got up, and was practically drooling.

"Mornin' dad," I said, "Merry Christmas," I squeezed his shoulder.

"Merry Christmas, boy," he messed my hair with his mischievous grin.

We fell into the routine of preparing our biggest breakfast of the year. I was always on waffle duty, while dad stood in his place and cooked the bacon and sausage, potatoes and eggs. It didn't take long, and we did it in a peaceful silence. We simply enjoyed each others company, the scent of cooking food, and the warm coffees we nursed in our palms. It was a tranquil, happy moment that was becoming more and more rare... especially since I'd become a wolf.

The rest of the morning passed this way, reminding me why I loved Christmas so much. We opened our few gifts we had gotten for each other. A new tv for dad, and several pairs of jeans, shorts, and shoes for me. I had laughed at this, but thanked him genuinely. Creator only knows how many pairs I go through because of the loss of my temper. It's a lot.

We had been chatting quietly and enjoying the warmth of the wood stove when dad rose suddenly, grabbing a present that was hidden behind our small tree. I don't know how I'd missed it, seeing as it was nearly as big as the tree itself.

"I saved the best for last," he winked, setting it in my lap.

It was wrapped in a deep, dark blue that reminded me of the colour of the ocean on a stormy morning and tied up with a honey-gold ribbon that resembled Stiles' eyes. I smelled the scent of him on the paper. It was faded, but there. My heart leapt as I realized this must be from him. I broke into a wide smile, and my dad chuckled.

"Didn't smile like that when I gave you a gift," he teased. I snorted at him before getting back to it.

I took my time tearing the paper open to reveal a large box. When I lifted the lid, I had to shut my eyes for a moment. Stiles' scent lingered in the safety of the closed box, and god it smelled good. I missed him so much I could barely breathe. When I opened my eyes again, I smiled in amazement at the contents. Inside, there were two matching wetsuits- one my size, and one his. They were black, with colour of the giant redwoods that lived in the forest surrounding us. These were wrapped up in a beautiful, obviously hand crafted beach blanket. I picked up the piece of paper that fell from between its folds. "My moon, for future private beach dates to watch the sun rise and set. Love, Mieczyslaw."

My dad wolf whistled when he caught sight of the expensive, neoprene suits.

"That boys gonna spoil you," he observed, and I couldn't help my cheeks warming a bit. This gift was one of the most expensive I'd ever received.

       🐾          🌲           👣           🌲            🐾

We heralded our arrival with shouts and hoots of excitement as we broke the tree line into the yard of the Cullen's. We could hear that Billy, Sue and Charlie were already inside.

"What's going on?" I heard Charlie ask in alarm, rising from his seat and looking out the windows. His eyebrows rose at the sight of the us coming up the steps.

"Merry Christmas!" Sam greeted, the first one in the door. He stepped aside so the rest of us could file in, all laden with trays of goodies that Emily had made and sporting happy smiles.