44| Mistake

You're so cruel, but revenge is a dish best served cold

-Everybody Loves an Outlaw

Theo

"Do you know where Amelia is?" 

"She must be in class. Why?"

Bridget sighed. "Well, I wanted to say this to her, but I guess you're good. Dean and I are having dinner tonight at a restaurant. You guys wanna tag along?

I raised an eyebrow. "Like a double date?"

She waved a hand. "Whatever you wanna call it. Scott and Sav are at this family vacation so they can't come. And I feel like you've been keeping my best friend to yourself for too long. I understand that you've just got together so I didn't say anything, but now I want the details from her."

"Why? I can't give you the details?" I joked.

She looked surprised. "Really? Spill."

I chuckled. Bridget was always up for gossips. I placed my hands on the table in front of me and bent forward towards her. "She's everything."

She raised an eyebrow.

"She's got my heart. She's my life, my angel. And I'm never letting her go."

Bridget smiled, her face showing me she hadn't expected this. She looked point blank astonished. "Wow. I'd never thought I'd see the day you'll say this for someone."

"I wouldn't have, really, if she hadn't come. She's the only one."

"I know I might have seemed like the villain to you a lot of times, but I was just looking out for her. She's been through a lot." She said.

"I know she has." I looked ahead. "She's the strongest person I know."

Bridget took a sharp inhale. "You know? She told you?"

I nodded.

Her face morphed into a small smile. "I'm happy for you, Theo. I really am."

"Thanks, Cat."

She definitely must be happy for me, because she just shook her head and chuckled when she heard me say my nickname for her. On days other than this she would have sworn to kill me when I called her that.

Mia didn't come to the canteen, which surprised me a bit because Mia never missed lunch. She hated missing her meals. But she'd been stressed lately because of the Noah drama, so I didn't bother her much. She was used to getting space at moments like these and me poking her to talk to me would push her away.

"Hi, Theo." I looked up . Claire was standing in front of me, her hand resting on the table. I heard Bridget cough beside me. Bridget's dislike for Claire was very much known to me, so I gave her an apologizing look.

"Hey."

"Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"He has a girlfriend who also happens to be my best friend. If you try something fishy I will cut off your limbs." Bridget muttered beside me. I bit back a chuckle.

"What is it?" I asked her, not moving to get up. She'd tried breaking up Mia and I, she was with Noah this whole time to take her away from me. I hadn't forgotten that.

She sighed. "I'm sorry, Theo. Ever since I turned thirteen I'd wanted you to look at me. And then a few years later you did, and I was so happy. And then suddenly she came and you turned all your attention towards her. That made me insecure and jealous, I'm not afraid to admit that. But this time apart from you has made me realize you were never meant for me. I was infatuated by you but we didn't have anything. So I'm sorry for trying to break you up. I know she makes you happy and I'm happy for you. That's all I came to say."