6| The Kings

You can count on me like one two three

-Bruno Mars

Amelia

"I'll pick you at six, sharp. Okay?"

"Yeah, but I still think you should drive with Dean. I can come on my own, it's not an issue." I said again.

"Nonsense." I imagined her waving her hand. "What are best friends for?"

"You're the best Bri." 

"I know I am." I could hear her grinning ear to ear from the other side. I smiled and hung up, glancing on my bed, at the dress I'd chosen. Red had always been one of my favorite colors, so finding something red hadn't been a problem. The problem had been choosing one dress out of all of them. But after a lot of decision making, I'd come across one I knew I liked, and I knew he would like.

I jumped into the shower, letting the warm water soothe my muscles, massaging my scalp and rubbing my body with the vanilla scented body wash. When I came out it was already 5:30. So I threw on the dress, letting it fall down till the mid of my thighs, the lace full sleeves reaching up till my wrist. I kept my makeup simple, a thin layer of eyeliner and light red lipstick. I was strapping my heels when I heard the honk. 

I hurried outside, knowing how impatient Bridget could be, bidding my goodbye to Uncle Mason. She honked again and I huffed. I got in the passenger seat, glancing at her.

"Ready?" She asked, looking ahead, a grin on her face.

"As I'll ever be." I winked.

We sped off the roads, zooming past the trees and bushes on either side. I hadn't spoken to Theo since yesterday when he invited me, and I didn't know how I felt about that. I also didn't know how I felt about going to his house tonight in this gathering thing. He had said he invited all his friends, so were we friends now?

More importantly, did I really want to be his friend?

"So what was that yesterday?" Bridget glanced at me from the corner of her eye. "Is something going on between Theo and you that you aren't telling me?"

"No Bri," I sighed. "He invited me yesterday when we went out of the canteen. Why do you think there's something going on?"

"Because I know Theo. And Theo doesn't invite girls who he's barely known for a few days to this family gathering thing."

"We just-" I tried to find the right words to explain her. "We just bonded the other day."

"What the fuck does bonded mean? Theo doesn't bond with girls. He sleeps with them."

I glared, "Well he didn't sleep with me, if that's what you're saying."

"That's not what I'm saying." She sighed. "I'm just confused. I don't know what he's doing. He's never behaved like this before."

"I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing." I replied.

She didn't say anything after that; I didn't know what she could. I had no idea what she meant by what she said, and I had no intention of knowing. I didn't know why Theo was behaving the way he was, or how he used to behave, but I tried not to over think the issue. No, the new Amelia lives in the moment, enjoys it, and doesn't over think. So if I was enjoying the company of Theo, then I wasn't complaining if he was behaving differently than before. 

"Do you," She cleared her throat, almost seeming hesitant to ask. "Do you like him?"

I choked on my own spit. "What the fuck?"