The Party

~one week later~

Yeosang and the rest of Ateez were back in Seoul after their long tour. Even though that meant Yeosang had more time to talk to me in the evenings, nothing much changed. Our communication with each other was still pretty pathetic, and it was mostly my fault.

At work one day, I sat down at the computer next to Sunhee and sighed.

"Boyfriend problems again?" Sunhee asked me. She must've noticed that I was in a bad mood.

"Yeah... we've been stuck in the same loop for a few months now. It seems hopeless..." I answered.

"Awe... I'm sorry, (y/n)."

Just then, I received an email from JYP.

It read, "As you all know, our K-pop groups have made many great achievements this year and have won well deserved awards. It's time to celebrate. Our company has been invited to an exclusive house party at the private location listed below. All staff are welcome to attend. Use your ID to get in. The dress code is "cocktail attire." Many big name companies in the K-pop industry will be there, so please dress accordingly. More details regarding the event are below."

"Hey, Sunhee... check this out," I said, pointing to my computer screen.

"An exclusive house party, huh? Sounds like fun! We should definitely go," she stated. "Oh! And we should go shopping for dresses for the event! That'll take your mind off things."

"Yeah, let's do that this weekend."

***

On Saturday, Sunhee and I went to the mall and tried on several dresses. I just didn't want anything too fancy because I didn't want to overdress. I searched for something tasteful and flattering.

Eventually, I tried on a dress which was everything I was looking for. I felt confident, so I showed Sunhee.

When she saw me wearing the dress, she gasped and said, "It's perfect. You look gorgeous!"

"Thanks. I think this is the one," I replied.

"I agree. And it'll look really nice with some accessories. Want to find some jewelry?"

"Actually... I already know what jewelry I'm going to wear. I have a necklace that I really like."

"Oh. Okay, suit yourself."

***

After a couple of weeks, it was finally the day of the party. Unfortunately it was a Friday, so I still had to work during the day.

I was in the middle of working in the tech room when I decided to get a water bottle from the break room. On the way, I was stopped by the manager's assistant who was carrying a package.

"Oh (y/n), you know where the main dance practice room is, right?" She asked me.

"Yeah, I do," I replied.

"Could you do me a favor and drop this off there for me?" She asked, passing me the package.

"Sure."

I went to the practice room and was about to open the door when I heard someone in the room mention my name. Curious, I listened in through the door...