Clear Blue Sky

I stayed up late thinking about what Yeosang could possibly want me to come to the roof for. I wanted to text him again, pressing him further for a real explanation, but I knew I couldn't. He told me to trust him so I had to, but curiosity was eating away at me.

I thought perhaps he had something important to tell me; something he didn't want anyone else to hear. My first idea was... that maybe he was going to confess his feelings for me. But I kept telling myself I only had that thought because that's what I wanted to happen. It just seemed a little far-fetched.

I also had the thought that maybe something bad had happened. If it's so serious that he's making me sneak up to the roof, it's either going to be very good news or very bad news. Obviously, I was hoping it wasn't the latter.

With these thoughts, I had mixed feelings, but anxiety was dominating all of them. I resolved to try falling asleep as quickly as possible in order to seemingly reach the next day faster.

***

I woke up and checked the weather. It was going to be a beautiful day with clear skies and a light breeze.

I got ready diligently and left for work.

***

Towards the end of my lunch break, I was constantly checking the time on my phone. I ate rather quickly and was just sitting there, listening to the small talk of the crew members.

Finally, I checked the time again as the last minute of lunchtime past. I wanted to leap out of my seat and dash for the exit, but I knew better than that. I slowly put my trash away and excused myself graciously as to not make a scene.

Walking out of the room, I looked down the hallway to see if I could find a janitors' closet. There wasn't one...

I paused to think about why Yeosang wanted me to take the stairs by the janitors' closet, wherever it was. Then I thought of the answer. It would look suspicious to any of the employees on this floor of the building if I didn't take the elevator to the practice rooms as I usually do. That's what I had to do first.

I took the elevator and reached the floor of the building where the practice rooms were. Then I looked down that hallway. 'Ah yes... there's the janitors' closet,' I thought. I also noticed that right across from the janitors' closet were restrooms. 'Perfect. If anyone sees me going down this hall, they'll just think I'm using the restroom.'

I continued to the end of the hall and found the stairs. I looked back behind me to make sure no one was watching before I took a deep breath and began ascending the stairs.

It was a long climb, but it was more discrete than taking the elevator. Eventually, I reached the top of the stairs. The sky appeared above me; a blue expanse, stretching to the city's horizon.

The roof was bare except for one person standing in the center... Yeosang.

When he spotted me, I waved and smiled before walking up to him.

"So... what is this about?" I asked nervously.

I could tell that Yeosang was nervous as well. He avoided eye contact and put a hand behind his neck as he let out a shaky breath. "Well uh... you see..." he began, trying to hold back a smile. "There's something that I need to tell you... What I wanted to say is... W-What I'm trying to say is..."

I stood there and waited patiently as Yeosang struggled to speak properly. His body language was awkward and fidgety, and I tried searching his eyes for a clue, but he would not look at me.

He then frowned, his face contorting into a frustrated expression. "The thing is..." he tried once more with a bit of urgency in his tone before he sighed, shaking his head.