Chapter 15 - The Serendipitous Dance

I was very confused and completely overwhelmed. Today had been such a rollercoaster but I never would have seen this coming.

Did he suddenly become humane and realise the craziness of this marriage?

Or

Did he find out about that kiss?
The kiss with Danny.....

I didn't know how to react, I was stunned but at the same time I was more than curious to know the reason for the sudden change.

I didn't want to provoke him though. I still had no idea of what he was capable of.

Very calmly I proceeded to asked him.

"Why?"

"Why, what Ms. Sapphire?, you're running out of time!"

He said sternly, staring at his watch. His eyes focused in on every single movement of the seconds hand.

I honestly fail to understand why he needs to be quite literal in everything that he says. In 5 more minutes it's not like the world would end.

Also what's with him calling me by my maiden name again not that, that's not a welcome change but it's quite alarming coming from him.

He looked tense and his jaw was clenched, like it was very hard for him to bear through these 5 minutes.

Did he want me gone?
He isn't even telling me the reason for his sudden proposal?

I was very unsuccessful in my first attempt at getting an answer out of him and I didn't want to try again, I was running out of time and I had to decide quick, I had two minutes left which I was alerted of by Mr. Carter.

Should I say Yes??

I would be free from this sham of a marraige, away from this predicament and I wouldn't have to bear his child.
I could run away to Danny and we could live happily ever after but was that too good to be true.

Danny just told me he likes me but based off of that I couldn't possibly show up at his front door and live off of him. Again, I would prove to be nothing but a burden, he wouldn't send me away but soon he'll realise his mistake and we'll break up.

I would once again be fighting to barely survive. Avery would no doubt help me but she has been a helping hand countless times before and I don't want to trouble her anymore with my issues.

And lastly, even if I leave this marraige and run away, society would think of me as a run away bride, a woman who left her husband soon after the wedding, a woman who can never be trusted.

I took a deep breath in and without hesitating, before the completion of five minutes I said

"NO" I declared, in a loud and clear voice.

"What?" He blurted in shock.

"No, I don't want to run away and I will follow through with this contract" I asserted.

After 10 seconds of him just staring at me with an expression of having just seen a serial killer, a sense of relief washed over his face, the tiny beads of sweat that were on his forehead seemed to dissapear into thin air.

I was broken inside, there was so much going on in my head that I wished I could just stop thinking for a second.

"You've chosen wisely Mrs. Carter, I had my doubts but I'm glad you proved me wrong, you will greatly benefit from this deal"

Deal ...
I see, in the end all this is just a deal to him
He won't even call it a marriage even if it's a fake one..

He considerably calmed down and looked like he was in a good mood, the cute guy who burned his chocolate bricks was back.