A Challenge

I couldn't sleep that night. I felt too happy about Jesse. He just kept rolling through my mind. I look up to him, but the fact that I was able to help him, be there for him, made me giddy. My holophone chimed from my dresser. I rolled over. Then lifted it up and smiled. It was a text from McCree.
"You up?" He asked.
"Yes."
"Can we talk?"
"Of course. What is it?"
"I know I said that I'm not worried about Gabe's lecture tomorrow, but I'm actually terrified. He seemed really pissed that I wasn't at training."
"Maybe I can talk to him. He's not that bad."
"You don't know him like I do Y/n."
"It's worth a shot isn't it?"
"You're a little dare devil aren't ya?😂"
"Haha is he really that bad?"
"You have no idea! One time Gabe wrestled Jack because he accidentally knocked his coffee out of his hand."
"They sound more like children. What if I was to just come down early with you so Reyes feels watched. I'll just act natural and do a little morning work out."
"Yeah that might intimidate him a bit."
"Alright. I guess I'll see you in the morning then!"
"Wait Y/n?"
"Yes?"
"Thankyou for doing this."
"No problem Jesse😉"
"Gn Y/n."
"Gn Jesse."

"The next morning I got up early and headed down to the training gym. I could hear Reyes and Jesse shouting at one another from down the hall. I ran over before things got too out of hand. I opened the door and Reyes quickly turned towards me.
"Oh I didn't know you guys were in here." I lied.
"Y/n....we were just....talking." Reyes said looking at Jesse. I had never seen Jesse look so worried before. He really is scared of Reyes.
"Well just...pretend I'm not here." I said.
I set my bag down and began stretching out on a mat. I could feel Reyes glaring at me. He turned back to Jesse and whispered something. He grabbed his shoulder tightly before quickly walking away. He stormed out the door of the gym. I looked back at Jesse who was paralyzed with fear. He stepped back and sat down on a bench then dumped his head into his hands. I quickly ran to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.
"Jesse what did he say?"
"...I-I've been.....court marshaled."
My eyes grew wide.
"N-no."
"I can't believe he'd do this y/n. After everything we've been through!!" Jesse weeped.
I turned away.
"It's not fair."
"What?" He asked.
"Gabriel will have to kill me first if he thinks he's going to court marshal you!!!"
I ran out the door and down the hall. Jesse followed behind me.
"Wait Y/n! What the hell are you doing?!"
I saw Reyes go into Morrison's office. I quickly opened the door.
"Reyes!" I yelled pointing towards him.
Morrison and Reyes both turned towards me.
"I challenge you to a fight!!!"
Reyes and Morrison burst out laughing.
"If I win you have to keep Jesse on the team!"
"You really wanna throw hands at me?! I'd love to see you try!" Reyes said pointing angrily. "And if you lose you both get court marshaled!!"
"Deal! Give me 24 hours." I said.
"Nah, we settle this at midnight Y/n! Don't keep me waiting!" Reyes said.
He bumped my shoulder and left the room. I watched him leave before turning back to Commander Morrison.
"Not that I don't like a good fight, but what is this all about?" Morrison asked.
"Commander? Reyes was going to have Jesse court marshaled for being late one time."
"Court marshaled? Gabe has no authority to give that order." Morrison said.
"Sir I've already made a deal."
"At ease Y/n. Just call me Jack."
"Yes sir! I-I mean Jack."
He smiled. Jesse grabbed my shoulder and turned me to face him.
"Why did you do that?"
"Because I'm the reason you are in this position."
"Y/n. That-that's not true. I decided to skip training. No matter why it's still my fault."
"I still can't stand by and watch Gabriel do this to you."
"I hope you're ready for this Y/n. Gabe doesn't take fights lightly. He won't go easy on you." Jack said.
"I-I know. I'm going to have to spend the day training, but it will be worth it."