Guilt

It has been 5 hours since we've heard anything. I was pulled away from Jesse as they rushed him down to medical. I've been shaking and pacing since.
"Y/n you're making me nervous." Gabriel said from his chair.
"This wouldn't have happened if you hadn't...!" I stopped myself and took a breath. I didn't want to say anything out of anger. "I'm sorry Gabe. That wasn't fair."
"No you're right." He said. "This whole fight-thing was really childish of me. I shouldn't have taken it so far."
"Gabe..."
"...?"
"Y-you really care about him don't you?" I asked.
"I was the one who wanted to train Jesse when he got busted. He's like a son to me."
I smiled.
"You and him are close now too huh?" Gabe asked.
"Y-yeah we've become friends."
"Heh I think it's a little bit more than that Y/n. I'm not blind." He said.
I tilted my head towards him just before hearing Angela walk down the hall. We both leaped up to face her.
Angela looked up from her clipboard.
"Jesse's frontal skull was cracked."
We both looked at her in shock.
"But you can fix it right?" I asked.
Angela removed her glasses.
"I've already fixed it."
"That's, that's great news Angela! How long until we can see him.
"The healing process is what's going to take time. Jesse's brain was damaged in the fight. He will be unconscious for a month or so."
Gabe and I became speechless. He continued to sit down and run his hands through his hair.
"Gabe?"
His voice was trembling. His whole body was.
"I-I nearly killed him."
"Gabe."
"I-what have I done?!"
"Gabe!" I exclaimed holding his shoulders.
His face was filled with regret.
"Would you guys like to visit him?" Angela asked.
I turned and nodded to her.
"Be warned. His face is still swollen."
"Gabe." I said motioning him to stand and walk.
We followed Angela down the hall. She turned left into a room. I came to the doorway and immediately saw Jesse sprawled out on the bed. His face was in shades of purple that I didn't even know existed. He had a large stitch going from the bottom of his lobe to the top of his head. I turned away and covered my face. I didn't know I could be so paralyzed seeing Jesse like this. I could almost feel his pain. Gabriel froze, but we needed to see Jesse. I held Gabe's arm motioning for him to follow me inside. We came to the side of Jesse's gurdy and looked at him. He was hooked up to a lot of tubes and devices. I looked down to see his hand. His arm had an IV in it. I held his hand firmly. Tears began to run down my face. Gabriel gripped the side of the bed tightly. His breath trembled. Right when you could hear the plastic snapping on the bed, Gabe let go and quickly left the room.
"I need to go Angela said leaving too."
I looked back towards McCree.
"I'm so sorry Jesse." I said.
I leaned in gently kissing his swollen cheek.

Later I went to go pick up my things from the gym. I grabbed my bag and just as I was about to leave my eyes panned to the sparring mat. My blood was still on it. Then I looked further and saw Jesse's hat on the floor. I walked over to pick it up. I felt the leather against my thumbs before gripping the fabric tightly as to not shed any more tears. Then I walked back to my room. Under my bed I pulled out a bottle of Jack I got on my birthday at S.E.P. I tore off the cap and took a sip. The hard alcohol was rough against my tounge, but I eventually forced it down. I sighed lookin at the bottle and hen at Jesse's hat.
"This is stupid." I said.
I put the bottle away and grabbed the hat. I headed downstairs and back to medical. Jesse needs someone right now even if he's in a coma. Especially because he's in a coma. I turned into his room. He was still lying in the gurdy. I walked up to the side of the bed and held his hand once again. Then I pulled up a chair next to Jesse.
"I'm here for you Jesse. Always."

1 week later...

"We started working with the new agent Genji Shimada. Jack said to be careful because he's an experimental weapon for Overwatch. He's very mysterious, but very talented. He uses two swords for weapons, but he's asked me to make him some retractable throwing stars so they can be implemented into his robotic arm. With all the robotics attached to him it makes me wonder what happened to him, but I also don't really want to ask. I'm scared that I'm going to get my head cut off heh." I said laughing to myself. McCree never spoke back, but I knew that. Still I was hoping someday he would talk to me. "Speaking of weapons, I've been working on your revolver." I pulled the revolver from my bag. "It lights up and has a spur at the bottom of the handle. It also has a black metal frame so it doesn't get damaged. I really hope you like it!" He didn't answer.
I sighed and looked down.
"Gabe hasn't shown up to training for the past week. Jack says he's sick but I don't believe that. He feels guilty Jesse. He's sorry." I stood up. "I'll see you tomorrow." I leaned across the bed and kissed Jesse's cheek then left the room. I saw Angela at the front counter.
"Hey Doc?"
"Y/n, Hello!"
"Has Gabe been in at all this week?"
"No I haven't seen him around here. Sorry."
"Thankyou." I said before walking back to the living quarters. No one has seen Gabe except for Jack and I knew I wasn't going to get the truth out of him. I was going to confront Gabe myself. I walked up to his door and knocked.
"Go away!" I heard muffled behind he door.
"Gabe? It's Y/n. Can I come in?"
A few moments later the door opened to reveal Gabe leaning against the door frame. He was wearing a stained tank top and holding a beer can. This looked way too familiar. I felt bad for him.
"Gabriel." I said with pity.
"What do you want?" He said grumpily.
"We are all wondering where you've been. Jack said you were sick, but-"
"Cut the shit Y/n. What do you want?"
I sighed.
"I came to talk. I'm worried about you. I'm sure Jesse is wondering too."
Gabe looked angry. He yanked me by my shirt into his room and shut the door.
"Jesse is unconscious! Because of me!!"
"He would still want you to visit him."
"I can't. It's my fault he's there. I shouldn't even be allowed near him." Gabe said with his back to me.
"It was an accident Gabe. We both were being childish, but we both learned from it too. I think that's more important to Jesse than anything. At the end of the day no one is at fault for this and I don't blame you one bit."
Gabe turned around. He put his hand to my chest and forced me to the wall.
"Gabe what are you-!"
His lips hit mine. I was stunned there. His lips were soft, but tasted like hard alcohol. I finally pushed him away.
"Gabe stop. You're drunk."
He fumbled in his feet.
"Yeah maybe." He said.
I sighed and took the bottle from his hands then pushed him into the bathroom.
"Do I always need to look out for you boys?"
I tossed him into the tub and ran the shower on cold. Gabe was shocked by the cold, yelling for a few seconds. Then he layed back letting the cold water fall on him and sighed.
"I-I'm sorry." He mumbled.

Later Gabe walked out of the bathroom with new clothes on and a towel over his head. He shook he towel into his hair and layed it against the couch.
"I'm ready to visit Jesse." He said.
I smiled.
"Good. He would like that."
Gabe grinned a bit.
"Thanks y/n."