Come Back

"Y/n!"
I woke up quickly looking around the room. McCree was standing over the bed. Gabriel still asleep.
"Jesse! Oh my god! You're awake!?"
"You-you betrayed me!" Jesse said loudly.
He looked absolutely furious. I felt my body shaking in fear. I held my hands out.
"No-NO Jesse I'm sorry I'm so sorry!!!"

Just then I woke up. My body thrusted upwards throwing the covers off. I looked to the foot of the bed. There was no one there. I looked next to me and Gabe was sound asleep.

The next morning...

I realized that I didn't like Gabe. I liked the idea with being with him, but not him. I think he would agree. We are both grieving while Jesse is still in a coma. We miss him more than we love eachother.

I handed Gabe a cup of coffee and sat next to him on the couch.
"Thanks y/n"

"Gabe I think we might be kidding ourselves. I just don't think this would even work. I think we just both miss Jesse and I don't think that-"
"You love him."
"What?"
"I've always known. You and Jesse were closer than I ever could dream to get. All I wanted was to help him. Be a mentor to him, but the way he talks and looks at you. He loves you Y/n. And you feel the same way."
"Gabe I......I don't know what to say."
"Let's call us even ok? I don't want things to be awkward or anything. I can't wait to see Jesse's face light up when he sees you." Gabriel said.
"Heh ok boss. I don't think I could ever tell him about us though. I feel-"
"Feel what?"
"N-nevermind." I said.
"Hey remember, no awkwardness."
"I feel ashamed. I think you're right Gabe. I love him, but I don't have the strength to face him. I saw him in a dream last night. He was standing at he end of the bed. He was angry with me. I've never seen Jesse so furious."
"It was just a dream."
"But I felt so real. I could smell his breath. I could feel his anger chilling my bones. I felt like I could reach out and touch him. His face was still a bit beat up. His eyes pierced through mine. I could barely move. I felt like he was squeezing my neck."
"That's....scary."
"Gabe....I'm scared."
"I-I'm sorry."
Gabriel wrapped his arms around me. It was comforting but I was still scared. Like Jesse was haunting me.

I later went to a private balcony area on the Overwatch property to see if I could get my mind of of all this. I sat down and took out a pack of cigarettes. I haven't smoked since I lived in Junkertown, but now seemed like the best time to start again. I lit the end and inhaled. Then gently put out a breath of the harsh smoke. I coughed a bit before sticking the cigarette back in my mouth. I looked up to see the mountain view from where I sat. Then all of a sudden something blocked my vision. It slowly started to come into view like an old holo screen. Then I started to make it out. I saw a pair of boots under some muddy jeans and then a red poncho and then a brown hat. Under the hat was Jesse McCree. I couldn't believe my eyes. I took the bud out of my mouth and wondered what the hell I was smoking. It really looked like him.
"J-Jesse?!"
"Hey Y/n." The figure said in a relaxed voice.
"Is that really you?!"
"Just a figment of your imagination."
"Am I going crazy?!"
"No not at all Y/n."
I could feel my eyes welling up with tears.
"Jesse! I-I miss you!"
"Heh, I miss you too pumpkin."
I wiped away the tears.
"I'm so sorry McCree! For everything! I've messed up so bad and I want to make it right!"
"You really wanna talk about all this right now?" McCree asked. He squatted down to look at me. "I just wanna admire your pretty face for a bit."
I giggled and smiled at him. I knew it wasn't real but it felt so real. I reached out to touch him. His hand came up and touched mine. I could feel him. I thought he was like a ghost, but no. His hand felt warm. He smiled bringing my hand to touch his face. Then he held my hand in both hands. His smile slowly fell into a frown.
"Jesse? What's wrong?"
"Why won't you come visit me?"
I sighed.
"I-I feel so ashamed right now. I can't."
"But I miss you Y/n."
I felt tears trickle down my face. I held McCree's hand tightly against my face.
"I miss you too.....but I just can't. I'm so sorry Jesse. I love you too much to tell you the truth. I can't face you right now."
I sniffled. Jesse wiped the tears from my face.
"I hope to see you later then." Jesse said. Then he vanished. His hand disappeared from my grasp.
"Damn."

1 month later...

It was raining one afternoon. I went downstairs for a smoke in the garden. I had been speaking to my imagination ever since my night with Gabe. I've never felt more regretful in my life. I lit he end of my cigarette and inhaled the smoke.

"I dunno if you can hear me McCree, but I just wanted you to know that we still miss you. You're fighting right now and we know you'll come out on top." Gabriel said. He grabbed the end of the hospital bed. "We need you back Jesse. It's not he same without you."
Gabe stopped and crossed his arms. He resitedthe urge to shed a tear. Jesse was looking much better but he was still in a coma. Gabe put a hand down to Jesse's arm and closed his eyes.
"I'm here for you. We all are. Y/n is. Please, come back."
Suddenly there was an extra beep on the heart monitor. Then another. The beating got faster. Gabriel looked at it concerned. The monitor sped up then all of a sudden McCree's chest filled with air. His eyes opened wide as he coughed air in and out of his chest.
"J-Jesse!!!" Gabriel exclaimed. "Angie get in here!"
Dr. Angela rushed in to try and calm down Jesse. Suddenly he reached out weakly grabbing Gabe's arm.
"G-gabe....."
"Jesse!"
"Wh-wheres Y/n!?"

I blew out a puff of smoke.
"Jesse.....come back."
I felt a presents behind me.
"Y/n?"
"Jesse stop seeing me. You're just in my mind."
"I'm in your mind?"
"Yeah just a figment of my imagination. Just go away." I said lowering my bud.
"Y/n I miss you."
"I miss you more Jesse. I want you. I need you. I wish you were really here."
"I am here."
I shook my head. I felt my eyes welling up.
"No....no Jesse, you're not."
"Y/n I'm standing right behind you."
What the hell was he talking about? I turned around....then froze. I looked to the doorway to see him. Jesse McCree was standing there. He leaned on one crutch. His face was slightly bruised. Tears were filling his eyes. I dropped the bud on the ground.
"J-Jesse." I said with tears rolling down my face. I froze.
"C'mon pumpkin." McCree said sniffling and chuckling. "Don't cry on me now."
I laughed and ran towards him. I threw my arms around him sobbing into his shoulder. I could feel his strong hand wrap around me. We were both trembling. I didn't want to let go.
"Y/n.....I'm so happy."
"Jesse there's so much I need to tell you!!!"
"No y/n. I need to tell you something first."
"What is it Jesse?" I asked looking up at him.
"I....I love you."
My heart nearly stopped. I should've spoken first, but I wasn't ready to tell him.
"Jesse. I love you too."
His face filled with even more joy. I grabbed his head pulling him in for a kiss. We kissed passionately. I didn't want to let go of him. We both pulled away and smiled.
"I'm so sorry Jesse."
"Sorry? Sorry for what?"