chapter seven

     The Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin had passed now with Gryffindor winning. The whole dorm had celebrated that night, James once again asked Lily for a date and to Ella's surprise, refused once again. But that didn't stop the belief that she would eventually just admit it. Ella knew that much. However with exams and Ella's emotions running high, she was barely around anymore. Spending most of her time in the library or sleeping to be energised.

     She had been with James once over the past few weeks. It was strange but the heat from Layla and Remus to tell James seemed to have subsided because of it. So it left Ella feeling a little more relaxed as she tried to study herself half to death for the first set of exams of the year. They were also the last set of mock exams they would ever face and that scared Ella more than anything.

     So when the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff match occurred for Quidditch, Ella was barely phased. She spent the whole match cooped up in the library and only discovered when she trudged back to the common room that Ravenclaw had even won. Everyone seemed to be celebrating and seemed happy enough that they had won.

     James seemed to be the one most happy with that but Ella had been unable to concentrate with the celebrations going on meaning she quickly hid away in her room while everyone calmed down. By the time everyone had finished, it was way past curfew. Dorothea, Layla, Inez and Betty were finally all upstairs and in varying degrees of getting ready for bed. While this occured, Ella took her leave needing to do some extra potions studying.

     Little did she know that she would end up studying far past curfew. She wasn't sure what time it was when the stress and anxiety of the exams finally hit her. But she knew it was far too late. Her head on the desk, her eyes staring at the table despite the gloom of her vision. Her arms protecting her face from anyone watching her.

     She didn't even look up and acknowledge the portrait door opening. A laughing and panting boy stumbling through as someone screamed in the corridors. It sounded like either Filch or Peeves. Ella didn't know which and didn't care. The portrait closed and she heard their footsteps but didn't look up. Not until she heard her name said in that oh so familiar voice. She lifted her head up now, tears spilling down her cheeks as she looked at James through blurred vision.

     It felt like so long since she had seen him. Really it was only a few hours but the two of them hadn't been alone in far too long. He seemed happy a moment ago but now all she could see was blurred concern. His eyebrows pulled together as he walked over to her. A strange coloured cloak draped over his arm which she recognised as his invisibility cloak.

     He wasn't wearing his outer robe anymore but he had his jumper on. His tie off and his shirt unbuttoned a little. She had no idea what he'd been doing or why he was even outside but all Ella could think about is the worst. Not that she would say that to him. His hair was tousled and he looked dishevelled. He'd either just played a prank or hooked-up with someone. Ella didn't want to know which. Not right now.