chapter twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY.
( THE LETTER.. )

     Ella sat on the balcony of the Astronomy Tower. Her legs swinging as a soft sigh escaped her lips. Her forehead rested against the metal bars as she waited, listened but there was nothing. It was long past the time they would usually meet here and it was pointless to wait any longer. It seemed that Ella was right in what she was thinking in Hogsmeade.

     James had forgotten about her and him and Lily had got together. It was cruel that he finally admitted something and now it was gone. He probably barely remembered it so Ella just pushed herself to stand up. A long breath leaving her lips as she felt the wind prick at her eyes. A soft sigh of sadness escaping her lips.

     "Idiot," Ella muttered under her breath, wiping her teary eyes. This was stupid, she shouldn't have thought it would go well. It was always going to end this way, James would never love her despite what he claimed. It was clearly just some stupid joke or lapse in judgement. Ella couldn't help but feel her heart ache as she headed out of the Astronomy Tower.

     It was stupid to get her hopes up and continued to berate herself as she trudged back to the Common Room. Her heart was in pieces and it was once again because of James Fleamont Potter. She wished she didn't get her hopes but she believed that just for a minute maybe James was a decent and good person.

     Ella said the password and the portrait swung open. It made a passing comment to her frown but she just ignored it, walking inside. James was sat in the Common Room. His feet up on the coffee table and a grin on his face as he went on at Sirius. The other boys weren't around and the whole place was quiet since curfew had long since passed.

     James didn't even notice her coming in. He had forgotten about their plan entirely which only served to hurt her heart more. The brunette - rather than going up - decided to see if he'd notice her and plopped herself down on the couch a few feet from them. Her gaze fixing on the fireplace as it crackled and popped.

     "I just can't believe she actually said yes. Does that mean she likes me? She kept talking about Ella but she said yes," James said, continuing his rant about Lily. It was the first time Ella had seen him this happy in a long while and it only made her heart ache even more. It was ridiculous really. It shouldn't bother her as much as it did but he was just completely forgetting her, what they had said. It hurt.

     So after less than a minute of talking, Ella got up and walked up the stairs. Sirius noticed the movement and gave her a side glance as she trudged up the stairs. Ella wanted nothing more than to curl up in bed and never come back out. Her heart ached and she hated it more than anything. The universe just couldn't do one thing nice for her it seemed. Just not a single damn thing.

     And to make it worse as Ella trudged up the stairs, she ran into the girl she didn't want to see. The redhead was smiling as she came down but when she saw Ella, her smile dropped. Ella attempted to just walk past but Lily grabbed her arm to keep her in place.