chapter thirteen

     Ella was sat in the library... again. It was how she had been spending most of her days as of recently. Her head always buried in a book in the pursuit of knowledge like a Ravenclaw. Ella was beginning to feel continuously more unsteady with her house choice. She didn't think she deserved to be in Gryffindor anymore. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw even bloody Slytherin was a better fit for her than Gryffindor. She was not brave or honest or courageous or even trusting. Maybe practical and playful but she felt so out of place in her house.

     Her playfulness had been lost the second that she lost James. Her trust had been shattered at the age of 11 and her bravery, honesty and courage had long since died. Her feelings towards James and the fear that came with them quickly made her lose everything she once had. Yes, she stood up to her father but in the grand scheme of her life, it was nothing.

     Standing up once was not the same as being brave and facing her fears like with James. With James, she had been a coward and she always had been. She was only in Gryffindor because she feared being alone. At least in the other houses, she would have fit in. She had the loyalty, patient and hardworking nature of a Hufflepuff. She had the logicality, the passion to learn and the observance of a Ravenclaw. Hell, she even had the boldness, cunning and ambition of a Slytherin. When she thought of Gryffindor, she felt like she did not fit in. Not anymore.

     And those negative thoughts swirled as she was surrounded by people of everyone from one house or another. She felt inadequate, her fear eating her from the inside out and as the evening drew in, Ella had had enough. She couldn't study anymore. She could barely even think so she closed her book, a little too loudly and packed her things away.

     "Would you be quiet, half-blood?" A Slytherin girl sneered. Her perfect blonde curls someone only aggravating Ella further. The brunette slung her back over her shoulder and stuck two fingers up at her, walking away, "Disrespectful bitch," The girl muttered as Ella walked away. But she heard and twisted back to the blonde.

     "If you're going to insult me, at least have the nerve to say it to my face. Your 'pure-blood' might give you status outside this castle but inside you're just another snake waiting to get stamped on," Ella hissed before she lifted her wand and hissed 'Langlock' making sure to keep eye contact. Ella smirked as the girl tried to snap back only to find her tongue stuck to the roof of her mouth. Ella then turned away and headed out of the library. A few people rushing around to help the Slytherin girl. None of them cared enough to stop her and she had no interest in stopping.

     Originally her intent was to go back to the Common Room but it was likely filled with her friends so decided to go to the Astronomy Tower. It was a Saturday and she was hoping that nobody was up there especially now that it was coming into the evening time. The route was practically imprinted into Ella's mind, having snook up there more than once with James under his invisibility cloak during their early years of Hogwarts.