chapter twelve

     Thankfully when Margaret and Mia apparated to the Hogwart's platform with James and Ella, the train would be leaving in only a few minutes time. The two mothers left their children to head to the train themselves. Ella and James silently walking beside each other before getting onto the train. James still being the gentlemen and letting her go first.

     James, however, got into the compartment first and took his place while Ella stood at the door. Remus looked up at her and he could see the sadness on her features. Despite her attempts to hide it and he got up to join her. Layla and James - with reluctance - came too since they had to have the meeting with all of the prefects. The trio walked down in relative silence and Ella barely spoke throughout the whole meeting.

     She was then assigned to patrol one of the carriages with Layla and the two walked down to do so. Ella couldn't help but feel her stomach twist in anxiety. Nausea taking over as she walked. Everything felt wrong and she wanted nothing more than to be curled up in James' arms. She wanted to feel safe stood next to him but now she had lost that.

     "Why are you so quiet today? What happened?" Layla asked finally. The silence had been deafening and had gone on far too long for the fringed girls liking. It was frustrating and Ella almost never shut up usually or would quickly start ranting as soon as they were alone.

     "James knows." Ella muttered as she moved her gaze to the windows, watching the countryside go by. Her stomach only twisting more as she watched it flick past them. So she moved her gaze back to the floor not wanting to vomit on the train. There were no toilets so throwing up wasn't exactly the best thing she could do.

     "Oh." Layla said. She almost sounded disappointed and that made Ella look up. She cocked an eyebrow, "I just expected it to be something bigger and different than that," Layla added. Ella scoffed and pushed her fingers through her hair. Layla seemed so oblivious and Ella quickly began to realise that it was probably set up. Layla probably wanted James to know.

     "You don't even realise what tellin' 'im has done. I spent a week at 'is house and he ignored me the whole time. It ruined my Christmas. I was supposed to be happy and escapin' from the hell that Hogwarts is turning into this term and all you can say is 'oh'." Ella spat. Her anger bubbling to the surface as she threw her heads out as she ranted. Layla looked up at her and crossed her arms over her chest, stopping in the corridor.

     "You could have been more honest with him," Layla responded, looking back at Ella. Ella laughed humourlessly and rolled her eyes. She just couldn't believe Layla. Her heart was breaking because her best friend wouldn't even speak to her and she was acting like it was Ella's fault.

     "Did you want this to happen? Did you set this up? I remember comin' over to you towards the end of the party and I'm assumin' you let James take me upstairs. Is this what you wanted?" Ella asked, her tone accusatory leaving barely any room for Layla to convince Ella that she was wrong. Ella didn't even know why she was jumping down Layla's throat but she was so frustrated and sad and angry at the world.