interlude: a conversation between friends

     James was just sat on his bed. His head in his hands and for the first time in what felt like so long, he was actually crying. His face hidden thanks to the gloom of his room. A soft sob escaping his lips despite his attempts to swallow the lump and blink back tears. He just didn't know what to think or what to even do anymore. Ella was his best friend and now he lost her because he couldn't control his stupid mouth but... she had lied. She had become everything that James didn't want.

     He fell back against the bed, his arm falling over his face as he tried to catch his breath. His tears still falling steadily as the door opened and closed. James half-expected it to be Ella. He wanted it to be Ella but as he sat up, he saw that it was Sirius. The black-haired boy tilted his head as he watched James wipe his eyes and sigh.

     "Yeah?" James asked. Sirius gently shook his head at James' cover-up and walked over, sitting down next to him on the bed. The silence between them out drawing out for far too long, "I'm not in the mood for whatever you want to suggest..." James admitted. Sirius sighed and looked to James.

     "Do you really think I don't care about the girls I sleep with?" Sirus asked, moving his gaze to James' face. The curly-haired brunette looked more dishevelled than Sirius had ever seen him. Usually James took rejection and argument well except when he was drunk but that was besides the point. He looked broken by the words they had exchanged and Sirius didn't entirely know what to say. So, he did what he did best, asked about himself.

     "No." James said. His tone was blunt and Sirius knew that he wasn't lying then at least. James pushed his fingers through his hair and wiped the tears from his cheeks. He felt like such an idiot, "I was just angry and confused and taken aback. I didn't mean it..." He added, resting his hands on his lap. A soft breathe escaping his lips as he tried to control his breathing.

     "You do." Sirius muttered. He wasn't sure if he was really just protecting how he felt about himself onto James but the looks he recieved sometimes showed it all. Sirius had always been a player of sorts, he enjoyed flirting and with the family he had escaped, he wanted nothing more than to not be attached to anything. But he was and pretending he wasn't attached to girl's made it easier. Made it easier but made everyone else think he was an asshole.

     "Sirius." James said, his voice serious as he looked at his friend. Thery didn't often have heart-to-hearts but James knew that now might be the time to actually admit the truth, "I don't. You just, how you act with girls isn't how I acted with Ella. I didn't mean it to come out as harsh as it did. I didn't mean it that way." He attempted to explain himself but he felt like his words came out wrong. His mind jumbled as he fumbled over what to say. He was always so composed usually but his emotions were causing him to stumble and fumble and lose focus. His tongue felt heavy in his mouth, paralysed and unable to speak.

     "How did you act with her?" Sirius asked. He wanted to be able to love someone the way James clearly loved Ella - even if he wouldn't admit it. Maybe finding out how he acted would help Sirius but also make James see that he was in love with Ella or at least realise why she had fallen so hard for him. It was clear she had fallen very hard and there was nobody to catch her.