interlude : the aftermath

     James took the steps back down to the common room, letting out a soft sigh. The party was still raging but he suddenly didn't feel like being there anymore. Remus spotted the look on his face and just watched as the curly-haired boy walked back up to the boy's dorms. Remus managed to escape from the group a few minutes later and went up after his friend. Worried that something bad had happened. He didn't want to think about whatever Ella could have said.

     "James?" Remus asked as he pushed the dorm door open. James was sat on the edge of the bed, his head in his hands as a sigh passed his lips. James didn't know what to do with himself but upon hearing Remus' voice, something snapped. He stood quickly, his hands balled at his sides as Remus closed the door behind him.

     "You knew! How could you just not say a word!" James shouted. His voice louder than neccessary. Remus looking at the boy with furrowed eyebrows. He didn't know what James was talking about yet but he was sure he had an idea, "Ella was in bloody love with me and you knew! You just lied to me!" He ranted, throwing his hands up. Remus sighed and pushed his hair out of his face quickly. He didn't know how to react to this exactly but he knew he had to say something.

     "I was trying to make her tell you. Clearly, she has," Remus responded. His voice calm and trying to stop anymore hostility between them both. But James just scoffed, turning around. His foot colliding with the frame of his bed as he felt the tears prick his eyes.

     "She told me..." James began, his words calm before he looked to Remus again. The betrayal hitting him harder now. He was admitting it... he was actually admitting it, "She only told me when she was blackout bloody drunk! You should have told me. I mean, you made it pretty fucking obvious you knew we were hooking up so obviously she told you that. No doubt she told you what we agreed! You understood what we had said and you let her lie to my face, Remus!" James continued, his voice growing louder as he became more frustrated. The alcohol in his veins certainly wasn't helping his anger either. His want to kick something or hurt someone was overwhelming.

     "Why do you think I kept interrupting your meetings!" Remus said, raising his voice. It was the first time he had done that to James in months. He was not usually one to shout but he hated the accusations James was throwing out, "It is not my fault she wasn't telling you! I was torn between being a good friend or watching her fall apart. Do not pin this on me." Remus added. His words harsh but no longer raised. He had to take the calm approach or someone would end up with a bruise. Someone would end up harmed and that wasn't what either of them wanted.

     "We swore are loyalty to each other. We promised that we wouldn't lie to each other but now, you're lying to me about Ella of all people. You know how much she means to me," James said. His voice calmer too but he practically spat his words. His voice full of venom as he turned to face the wall. A soft sigh escaping his lips. His fist was shaking, begging to be put through something. His stupid violent drunk self just wanted to hurt something.

     "I know how much she means to you, James, and I know how much you mean to her. Look at how you're reacting and consider why she didn't tell you sooner. You'll soon realise that the reason she didn't say is because she was afraid. You're living up to exactly what made her hesitant," Remus responded. He made his way across the room to the curly-haired brunette, reaching out. Taking James' hand in his own. James was quick to shake Remus off, leaning forward and resting his forehead against the wall.

     "I don't love her but I love being around her. What the hell am I meant to do." James muttered, wrapping his arms around himself. A soft sigh escaping his lips. He felt so useless and so angry at the same time. His friends had been lying to. The girl he'd been hooking up with had been lying to his face. Now, he had to break it off and lose his best friend, his childhood friend. The person he adored the most in his life.

     "I can't tell you what to do James. Ella is your best friend. You know her better than I ever will," Remus said as he watched James. His fists curling and then uncurling before the boy pulled away from the wall. His back colliding with the bed as he fell backwards against it. His arms covering his head as he let out yet another sigh.

     "Clearly not." James muttered under his breath but Remus didn't hear it. He was already crossing the room and deciding to let James work out what he was going to do himself.

***

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄 ! okay this was actually meant to go up with the previous chapter but i totally forgot so here it is now!! it's just a short little piece that i wrote (to be added really after finishing the book but fuck it honestly) to give a little view on james' side of everything. there's a couple of small scenes like this that will be peppered throughout wherever i had an idea for an extra scene so here it is. i hope you enjoyed this little drabble thingy

 i hope you enjoyed this little drabble thingy