chapter eleven

     Ella had spent most of the Christmas morning so far completely faking her happiness. Though she was genuinely thankful for all her presents, the argument with James lingered. He hadn't approached her and seemed to be having a good day despite everything. Ella had to admit that hurt so when she found that Mia had given her a muggle book for Christmas, it gave Ella the best excuse to just go to her room and hide.

     She had played on sitting on the couch and reading it but then they started playing stupid games and Sirius was being stupid. Frankly, she didn't have the energy to deal with him anymore so just sat in her room. A blanket wrapped around her and covers pulled over her as she snuggled into the book. Her head rested against her hand as her eyes moved across the page.

     She had been so enthralled in it that she barely even noticed when Sirius called her name in the hallway. It was only when he opened the door that she truly realised he was there. She looked up and cocked an eyebrow and placed the book down.

     "Tea's ready. Come on," Sirius said as he watched her climb out of bed. Ella nodded and then asked for him to wait one minute. She closed the door so he couldn't watch as she changed out of her pyjamas. It only took her a moment to put the dress on. It was long and flowy, red with a floral pattern of white flowers. She then did her hair with a tap of her wand and muttering a charm. It was curled and looked alive. Something she hadn't totally expected but was pleasant nonetheless.

     Ella then opened the door and walked out. Her bare feet padding against the floor as they walked across the corridor. Sirius shamelessly checking Ella out. The dress - although flowy - perfectly hugged her curves and it was the James that had once made James crazy. That was unlikely to happen this time but she wanted to feel confident and good. The main way she was going to do that is by wearing something that made her feel beautiful. James be damned, she was going to have a good day.

     "Hey, Sirius. Quit starin'. What would Marlene think?" Ella quipped. Trying to allow her normal self to take over. The person she was before she fell for James and before she had to hide everything from the people she cared about. She needed to try and get back to that girl. James couldn't ruin that for her. No, he couldn't.

     Ella's mother and Mia were quick to compliment Ella as she sat down at the table. James practically oogling at her as he watched her sit down. That made Ella smirk as they began their Christmas dinner. It started with crackers of course and Sirius was the only one that didn't end up getting a hat. Ella giving him her second bright pink one to him. He pouted at that and she stuck her tongue out, placing the purple on one on her head. Fleamont then cut up the turkey as was tradition and it was handed out to each of the six. Once they were all happily eating, the conversation began.

     "I've not had a chance to ask you boys how your practice exams went?" Mia said once she'd swallowed some of her food. Sirius looked up and looked incredibly alarmed by the question. That made Ella snort as she put some turkey in her mouth, chewing as she waited.