12 Faith: Part 4

We got in the car and drove back to the church tent. The car bounced down the badly graveled and potholed road again. We passed a sign that read, 'Service Today.' Dean parked the car, and we all got out.

"If Roy's using a spell, there might be a spellbook," Sam said.

"See if you can find it." Dean looked down at his watch. "Hurry up too, the service starts in fifteen minutes. I'll try to stall Roy." He pointed to me. "You're with me."

I nodded and followed behind.

A man walked by us, holding out a leaflet. "Roy LeGrange is a fraud. He's no healer."

Dean took the leaflet. "Amen, brother."

"You keep up the good work," Sam encouraged.

"Thank you" The man nodded and kept walking.

Sam ran off to Roy's house, and I followed Dean into the tent. We were slowly walking up the aisle when Dean's phone rang a few minutes later.

Dean answered, "What have you got?" (...) "What, the guy in the parking lot?" (...) He hung up the phone, looking worried.

I tugged on his sleeve. "What's wrong?"

"That guy in the parking is next if we don't stop this thing," Dean informed me.

Then Roy spoke, "Layla. Layla Rourke. Come up here, child."

The crowd burst into applause. Layla stood up, completely stunned, and hugged her mother.

Dean sighed. "Oh, man."

Layla walked past us, and Dean grasped her arm. "Layla, listen to me. You can't go up there."

Layla looked confused. "Why not? We've waited for months."

Dean shook his head. "You can't let Roy heal you."

Layla sighed. "I don't understand. Roy healed you, didn't he? Why can't you let him try?"

"'Cause if you do, something bad is going to happen. I can't explain. I just need you to believe me." Dean tried to convince her.

They stared at each other for a moment, and then Sue Ann held her hand out. "Layla."

"Please," Dean pleaded.

Layla stared at Sue Ann's hand, then turned back and looked at her mother, who was wringing her hands nervously. Her mother nodded at her.

Layla looked at Dean and shook her head. "I'm sorry." She walked away.

"Layla. Layla!" Dean called out.

Sue Ann put her arm around Layla and brought her on stage. "Dear child!"

The crowd continued to clap happily.

Roy took Layla's hand. "I knew the Lord would finally pick you. I knew it was just a matter of time."

Dean was frustrated, and we moved back near Mrs. Rourke. She was crying and covering her face with her hands.

Roy smiled at the crowd. "Pray with me, friends." He placed his hand on Layla's head.

Dean grabbed my hand and led me to the back of the tent. "Fire! Hurry, tent's on fire!" he yelled.

Everyone in the crowd started to rise and leave the tent, panicked. Layla opened her eyes and looked at the crowd.

Mrs. Rourke walked toward the stage. "No! No, please. Please don't stop. Reverend, please, please! Please don't stop, please!" she pleaded.

Roy removed his hand from Layla's head. "Friends, if you'd all just leave the tent in an orderly fashion... and we'll, uh, and we'll figure out what's going on out there, and we'll come back."