18 Something Wicked: Part 1

June 18th - June 20th, 2006

We were on our way to Wisconsin because Dad had texted Dean coordinates, which meant there was something to hunt. Sam had been researching the area and was struggling to find why Dad would send us there.

"Dude, I ran LexisNexis, local police reports, newspapers, I couldn't find a single red flag. Are you sure you got the coordinates, right?" Sam asked.

Dean nodded. "Yeah, I double-checked. It's Fitchburg, Wisconsin. Dad wouldn't have sent us coordinates if it wasn't important, Sammy."

"Well, I'm telling you... I looked, and all I could find was a big steamy pile of nothing. If Dad's sending us hunting for something, I don't know what," Sam said, frustrated.

"Well, maybe he's going to meet us there," Dean suggested.

"Yeah." Sam scoffed. "'Cause he's been so easy to find up to this point."

"You're a real smart-ass, ya know that?" Dean sighed. "Don't worry, I'm sure there's something in Fitchburg worth killing."

"Yeah? What makes you so sure?" Sam asked.

"'Cause I'm the oldest, which means I'm always right," Dean said.

Sam shook his head. "No, it doesn't."

"Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Sam on that one," I spoke up.

Dean looked at me in the rear-view mirror. "It totally does." He smirked.

About an hour or so later, we drove past a sign that read, Fitchburg: Population 20,501.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We pulled up in front of a diner. Dean went in to get us some drinks while Sam and I waited outside. Sam was pretty quiet, and I didn't want to step on his toes because I knew he was annoyed about following the coordinates in the first place. I sat in the Impala with my window down, and Sam leaned against his door, facing a playground.

Dean walked around the car and handed me my tea and Sam his coffee. "Well... the waitress thinks the local freemasons are up to something sneaky, but other than that, no one's heard about anything freaky going on."

"Dean, you got the time?" Sam asked.

Dean looked down at his watch. "Ten after four. Why?"

Sam nodded toward the playground. "What's wrong with this picture?"

I looked at the playground and realized there was only one kid.

"School's out, isn't it?" Dean asked.

"Yeah. So, where is everybody?" Sam asked. "This place should be crawling with kids right now."

Dean and I walked up to a woman sitting on a bench while Sam waited back by the Impala.

"Sure, is quiet out here," Dean said.

"Yeah, it's a shame," the woman said sadly, watching who I assumed was her daughter on the playground.

"Why's that?" Dean asked.

"You know, kids getting sick, it's a terrible thing." She sighed.

"How many?" Dean asked.

"Just five or six, but serious... hospital serious. A lot of parents are getting pretty anxious. They think it's catching." She smiled at me softly and then looked back up at Dean. "Just be careful, okay?"

Dean put his hand on my shoulder. "Have a nice night." Then we walked back to the Impala.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *