19 Provenance: Part 2

Once we checked in to our motel, we grabbed our bags and walked up to our room.

"Grant Wood, Grandma Moses?" Dean asked.

"Art history course. It's good for meeting girls," Sam said.

Dean unlocked the door. "It's like I don't even know you." He swung the door open, and we looked around the room in awe.

It was decorated like a retro disco room. Completely black, white, and silver and mostly decorated with polka dots and circles.

"Huh," we said in unison. Then we continued into the room and dropped our bags on the floor.

"What was... providence?" Dean asked.

"Prov-e-nance. It's a certificate of origin, like a biography. You know, we can use them to check the history of the pieces, see if any of them have a freaky past," Sam explained.

Dean nodded. "Huh. Well, we're not getting anything out of chuckles, but Sarah..." He snapped his fingers and pointed at Sam.

Sam smirked. "Yeah, maybe you can get her to write it all down on a cocktail napkin."

Dean laughed. "Not me."

Sam shook his head. "No, no, no, pickups are your thing, Dean."

"It wasn't my butt she was checking out," Dean said.

"Yeah, she barely even looked at Dean," I spoke up.

Dean looked at me, shocked. "Ouch."

I shrugged.

Sam sighed. "In other words, you want me to use her to get information."

Dean nodded. "Sometimes you gotta take one for the team. Call her."

Sam sighed deeply. "All right, but after this..." He pulled a rectangular object wrapped in a newspaper out of his bag and handed it to me. "Happy Birthday." He smiled.

"What? It's not June yet," I said, taking the present.

Sam smirked and looked at me, confused. "Uh, yeah. Actually, it's the twenty-fifth."

Dean laughed. "Where's your head at, kid? It's almost July."

I shrugged. "I don't know. It doesn't usually matter what day it is. We're always on the move anyway."

Dean pulled something wrapped in a newspaper out of his bag. "Well, it matters today." He handed me his present. "Sit down at the table."

I did, and then Dean pulled something else out of his bag. It was a slightly smashed cupcake in a plastic container. He pulled the cupcake out and set it in front of me. "Sorry." He chuckled.

"Guys, really, you didn't need to do this," I said, looking thankfully at them.

"We wanted to," Sam said, putting a candle on top of the cupcake.

"Yeah, of course, we had to. We're celebrating twelve years of you being a pain in the ass." Dean smirked.

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Thanks."

Dean lit the candle. "Make a wish."

I closed my eyes, thought for a second, and then blew out the candle.

"What did you wish for?" Sam asked.

"I can't tell you, it won't come true," I said, knowing it wouldn't anyway.

"Yeah, man. Don't you know that?" Dean scoffed.

I peeled the paper off of the cupcake and split it three ways, handing a piece to each of them.