14 Nightmare: Part 4

The next hour was a blur. The four of us went downstairs and called the police. Once they arrived, they began asking questions. The whole time I zoned out, picturing Max shooting himself over and over again. In the car, I had said that maybe they should kill him because of what he did. I just didn't realize how broken he really was. He didn't deserve anything that had happened to him. I couldn't believe that I wished him dead.

I snapped out of it when the officer who was talking to Mrs. Miller pointed over to us. I hadn't even realized that Dean had his arm around me.

"They're... family friends. I called them soon as Max arrived. I was scared. They tried to stop him. They fought for the gun."

"Where did Max get the gun?" the officer asked.

Mrs. Miller began to cry and looked up at the ceiling. "I don't know. He showed up with it, and—" She broke down.

"It's all right, Mrs. Miller," the officer said.

"I've lost everyone." She sobbed.

A tear ran down my cheek, still thinking about Max. Seeing her cry made me angry. I didn't understand how she could be so upset to lose someone she never fought for.

The officer turned to us. "We'll give you a call if we have any further questions."

"Thanks, officer," Dean said and then patted me on the shoulder. "Come on."

As we walked out of the house and down the path to the car, Sam broke the silence. "If I'd just said something else. Gotten through to him somehow."

"Ah, don't do that," Dean said.

"Do what?" Sam asked.

"Torture yourself. It wouldn't have mattered what you said. Max was too far gone," Dean explained.

"When I think about how he looked at me, man, right before... I shoulda done something." Sam shook his head.

"Come on, man, you risked your life. I mean yeah, maybe if we had gotten there twenty years earlier," Dean said.

Sam walked around to his side of the car and Dean, and I stood on ours. Dean looked over at me, he furrowed his brow, softened his eyes, and the corner of his mouth twitched into a frown. I wiped my eyes and got into the car before he could say anything.

Sam sighed. "Well, I'll tell you one thing. We're lucky we had Dad."

Dean laughed slightly. "Well, I never thought I'd hear you say that."

"Well, it coulda gone a whole other way after Mom. A little more tequila and a little less demon hunting, and we woulda had Max's childhood. All things considered, we turned out okay. Thanks to him," Sam said.

"All things considered," Dean said, and they both got into the car.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We drove back to the motel in silence, and when we got there, Dean backed the Impala up to the door so we could pack and leave.

"Dean, I've been thinking," Sam said.

"Well, that's never a good thing," Dean joked.

"I'm serious. I've been thinking, this demon, whatever it is. Why would it kill Mom, and Jessica, and Max's mother, ya know? What does it want?" Sam asked.

Dean shook his head. "I have no idea."

"Well, you think, maybe, it was after us? After Max and me?" Sam asked.

"Why would you think that?" Dean asked.

Sam shrugged. "I mean, either telekinesis or premonitions, we both had abilities, ya know? Maybe it was... he was after us for some reason."