3 Dead in the Water: Part 1

November 25th - November 29th, 2005

I sat in a diner across from Dean as I ate my cheeseburger and fries. He was looking at the obituaries in a newspaper he had picked up earlier. Unfortunately, searching through obituaries was how we found most of our cases. Dean circled one of the people, which meant that he thought something was suspicious about their death.

"I think I found something." Dean looked up at me and snatched one of my fries.

"Hey!" I yelled at him and smacked his hand away as he smirked.

Our waitress walked up to us. "Can I get you anything else?" she asked while placing one hand on our table and leaning toward Dean in a way that pushed her chest out.

I rolled my eyes, sat back in my chair, and dropped the fry I had back down on my plate. I crossed my arms and watched the encounter play out. I had watched women flirt with him a thousand times. It was always annoying, and it always caused me to lose my appetite.

Dean looked up at her and grinned. He was about to say something when Sam came over and sat down in his chair.

"Just the check, please," Sam said, sounding slightly annoyed.

"Okay." She nodded with a huge smile on her face and gave Dean one last glance before walking away.

Dean dropped his head in disappointment. "Ya know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while." He pointed to our waitress. "That's fun."

I groaned, and I rolled my eyes at him. Sam just gave him a look.

Dean looked down, clearly feeling defeated. Then he shoved the newspaper at Sam. "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week, Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water... nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

Sam furrowed his brow. "A funeral?"

Dean nodded. "Yeah, it's weird. They buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure, or whatever."

"Closure?" Sam scoffed. "What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them."

I knew exactly what Sam was upset about. I felt like we had lost track of Dad too. We hadn't found any clue as to where he could be in a while. I was starting to wonder if we would ever see him again.

Dean furrowed his brow. "Something you want to say to me?"

"The trail for Dad. It's getting colder every day," Sam said.

"Yeah, we haven't found any clue of where he could be," I chimed in.

Dean nodded. "Exactly. So, what are we supposed to do?"

"I don't know." Sam shrugged. "Something... anything."

I leaned back in my chair, not wanting to be involved anymore because the conversation seemed to be heading toward an argument.

"Ya know what?" Dean shook his head. "I'm sick of this attitude." He furrowed his brow. "You guys don't think I wanna find Dad as much as you do?"

I felt bad that I had questioned him. Dean had always put family first, no matter what.

Sam sighed and nodded. "Yeah, I know you do. It's just—"

Dean pointed to himself and me. "We're the ones that have been with him every single day for the past two years." He pointed at Sam. "While you've been off to college, going to pep rallies... we will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there. Okay?"