19 Provenance: Part 3

Back at the motel, Sam and Dean checked out every detail of the picture and found that the picture differed from the painting.

Sam spun the picture around to show Dean. "I'm telling you, man, I'm sure of it. The painting at the auction house, dad, is looking down. Painting here, dad's looking out. The painting has changed, Dean."

Dean nodded, looking down at the picture. "All right, so, you think that daddy dearest is trapped in the painting and is handing out Columbian neckties like he did with his family?"

"Well yeah, it seems like it. But if his bones are already dusted, then how are we gonna stop him?" Sam asked.

Dean sighed. "All right, well, if Isaiah's position changed, then maybe some other things in the painting changed as well." He shrugged. "You know, it could give us some clues."

"What, like a Da Vinci Code deal?" Sam asked.

Dean gave Sam a blank stare. "I don't... know. Uh... I'm still waiting for the movie on that one. Anyway, we gotta get back in and see that painting." He stood up and walked over to the bed opposite me, throwing himself on it. "Which is a good thing 'cause you can get some more time to crush on your girlfriend."

"Dude. Enough already," Sam snapped.

"What?" Dean asked.

"What?" Sam glared at him. "Ever since we got here, you've been trying to pimp me out to Sarah. Just back off, all right?"

Dean shrugged. "Well, you like her, don't you?"

Sam rolled his eyes.

Dean nodded. "All right, you like her, she likes you, you're both consenting adults—"

Sam raised his voice, "What's the point, Dean? We'll just leave. We always leave."

Dean shrugged. "Well, I'm not talking about marriage, Sam."

Sam shook his head, irritated. "Ya know, I don't get it. What do you care if I hook up?"

"'Cause then maybe you wouldn't be so cranky all the time," Dean said calmly.

Sam huffed and then looked away.

Dean sat up. "You know, seriously Sam, this isn't about just hooking up, okay? I mean... I— I think that this Sarah girl could be good for you."

Sam sighed and scratched his head.

Dean softened his voice, "And... I don't mean any disrespect, but I'm sure this is about Jessica, right? Now I don't know what it's like to lose somebody like that... but... I would think that she would want you to be happy."

Sam listened quietly with tears in his eyes.

"God forbid, have fun once in a while. Wouldn't she?" Dean asked.

Sam nodded. "Yeah, I know she would." He half smiled and then sighed heavily, "Yeah, you're right. Part of this is about Jessica. But not the main part."

"What's it about?" Dean asked.

Sam shook his head, refusing to answer.

"Yeah, all right." Dean laid back with his arms crossed. "Well, we still gotta see that painting, which means you still gotta call Sarah, so..."

Sam nodded and picked up his phone. Dean shook his head and closed his eyes, settling in.

"Sarah, hey, it's Sam," Sam said awkwardly. (...) "Hey, hi." (...) "Good. Good, yeah. Um. What about you?"

Dean and I watched Sam as he uncomfortably talked to Sarah.

"Yeah, good, good, really good," Sam repeated himself.