16 Shadow: Part 3

After tossing and turning, I was pulled out of my grogginess by the sound of something messing around with the lock on the door. I instantly became alert and glanced over at the clock. It was two in the morning, I had been in and out of sleep for about two hours, and I knew the scratching at the lock wasn't Sam or Dean. I quickly got up. Not wanting to switch a light on, I unplugged the lamp on the nightstand and tip-toed over to the door. I leaned against the wall next to the door with the lamp in hand, ready to swing when it opened.

The lock jiggled a little more, and then the door slowly opened as a dark figure walked in. I swung the lamp, but the figure caught it and pulled it away from me. I stomped down on its foot as hard as I could and elbowed it in the gut. I heard a slight groan and slipped past the figure, running out of the door.

The figure grabbed my shoulder. "Hey, hey. It's me."

I recognized the voice instantly, and tears came to my eyes. I spun around and looked my Dad in the eyes for the first time in months.

A huge smile spread across Dad's face. "Hi, peanut."

I broke down into tears and ran to him. "Daddy!"

He hugged me and pulled me into the room, switched the light on, and closed the door behind us.

I clung to him. "You're really here." Then I quickly pulled back, realizing what I had done to him. "Oh, jeez. I hit you."

He put his hands on my shoulders and laughed. "Don't worry. You did what I taught you to do." He smiled and then pulled me back into a long hug.

Moments later, the door opened, Sam and Dean walked in, covered with cuts and blood.

"Why didn't you just leave that stuff in the car?" Dean asked.

"I said it before, and I'll say it again... better safe than sorry," Sam said.

Sam and Dean both looked into the room, shock crossing their faces. "Dad?" they asked in unison.

"Hey, boys," Dad said.

Dean walked up to Dad, and they shared a long hug, then Dad pulled away and looked over at Sam, who was watching sadly. "Hi, Sam."

"Hey, Dad," Sam said softly and set his bag of weapons on the floor but didn't approach Dad.

"Dad, it was a trap. I didn't know. I'm sorry," Dean said urgently.

"It's all right. I thought it might've been," Dad said.

"Were you there?" Dean asked.

"Yeah, I got there just in time to see the girl take the swan dive. She was the bad guy, right?" Dad asked.

"Yes, sir," Sam and Dean said in unison.

Dad nodded. "Good. Well, it doesn't surprise me. It's tried to stop me before."

"The demon has?" Sam asked.

Dad nodded. "It knows I'm close. It knows I'm gonna kill it. Not just exorcise it or send it back to hell... actually, kill it."

"How?" Dean asked.

Dad smiled. "I'm workin' on that."

"Let us come with you. We'll help," Sam said.

Dean gave Sam a 'warning' look, but Sam didn't notice.

Dad shook his head. "No, Sam. Not yet. Just try to understand. This demon is a scary son of a bitch. I don't want you caught in a crossfire. I don't want you hurt."

"Dad, you don't have to worry about us," Sam said.

"Of course, I do. I'm your father." Dad paused for a moment. "Listen, Sammy, last time we were together, we had one hell of a fight."