13 Route 666: Part 1

May 3rd - May 7th, 2006

We were parked at a gas station, filling up and figuring out the best route to our next case. Sam had a map laid out on top of the car, I was out stretching my legs, and Dean had taken a phone call while filling the tank.

"Okay. I think I found a way we can bypass that construction just east of here. We might even make Pennsylvania faster than we thought," Sam said as he folded up the map so it would showcase the route he picked.

Dean lowered his phone. "Yeah." He walked around to get in the car. "Problem is, we're not going to Pennsylvania."

Sam looked up. "Wait... what?"

"I just got a call from an... uh, old friend. Her father was killed last night, think it might be our kind of thing," Dean said.

Sam shook his head. "What?"

Dean nodded. "Yeah. Believe me, she never woulda called... never... if she didn't need us." He got in the Impala.

I followed behind, and we waited a moment for Sam to get in.

Dean started the car. "Come on, are you coming or not?"

Sam sighed and got in the car. Dean took off down the road, and I laid down to get some rest before we made it to our destination. I woke up about an hour later to Sam and Dean having a conversation.

"By old friend, you mean...?" Sam asked.

"A friend that's not new," Dean said blankly.

"Oh yeah, thanks," Sam said, "So, her name's Cassie, huh? You never mentioned her—"

"Didn't I?" Dean asked.

I sat up quickly. "That's who we are going to help? Cassie?!"

Dean furrowed his brow at me in the rear-view mirror and then looked over at Sam, who was still waiting for an explanation.

Dean sighed. "Yeah, we went out."

"Dean, are you sure that—" I started, but Dean gave me a quick glare.

"You mean you dated somebody? For more than one night?" Sam asked, shocked.

Dean looked over, annoyed. "Am I speaking a language you're not getting here? Dad and I were working a job in Ohio. She was finishing up college. We went out for a coupla weeks."

Sam raised his eyebrows. "And...?"

Dean shrugged.

Sam sighed. "Look, it's terrible about her dad, but it kinda sounds like a standard car accident. I'm not seeing how it fits with what we do." He shook his head. "Which, by the way, how does she know what we do?"

Dean didn't answer and just stared at the road.

"You told her. You told her the secret!" Sam shouted angrily. "Our big family rule number one. We do what we do, and we shut up about it. For a year and a half, I do nothing but lie to Jessica, and you go out with this chick in Ohio a coupla times, and you tell her everything?"

Dean continued staring at the road.

"Dean!" Sam yelled.

Dean finally nodded. "Yeah. Looks like it." He never took his eyes off the road.

Sam sighed angrily, shook his head, and stared out of his window. I leaned against the door, so I could look out of my window.

I was not happy about going to see Cassie, the last time we were there, Dean left heartbroken, even though he wouldn't admit it. From what I could remember, she was a nice girl, but she had a strange hold on Dean. After we left Ohio last time, he was not his fun self for a few weeks.