6 Skin: Part 1

February 28th - March 7th, 2006

Dean pulled up to a gas station, we had been driving for days now and still had a long road ahead of us, but now we were finally going to keep our focus on Dad.

"All right, I figure we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight," Dean said and then looked over at Sam, who had been staring at his phone and completely ignoring us for the last hour. Dean looked back at me and smirked. "Sam wears women's underwear."

I giggled, and Dean smiled at me.

"I've been listening. I'm just busy," Sam said, not taking his eyes off his phone.

Dean furrowed his brow. "Busy doin' what?"

"Reading e-mails," Sam said.

Dean got out of the car to fill up the gas tank. "E-mails from who?"

"From my friends at Stanford," Sam said, still looking at his phone.

"You're kidding..." Dean said, "You still keep in touch with your college buddies?"

"Why not?" Sam asked.

"Well... what exactly do you tell 'em?" Dean asked, "Ya know, about where you've been, what you've been doin'?" He leaned on the car next to Sam's window after he finished filling the tank.

"I tell 'em I'm on a road trip with my big brother and little sister. I tell 'em I needed some time off after Jess," Sam said, looking up at Dean.

"Oh, so you lie to 'em." Dean smirked.

Sam shook his head. "No. I just don't tell them... everything."

"Yeah, that's called lying." Dean laughed. "I mean, hey, man, I get it. Tellin' the truth is far worse."

"So, what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Sam asked.

Dean shrugged.

Sam furrowed his brow. "You're serious?"

Dean shrugged. "Look, it sucks, but in a job like this, you can't get close to people... period."

"You're kind of anti-social, ya know that?" Sam smiled and turned back to his phone.

"Yeah, whatever." Dean shrugged.

Sam gasped. "God..."

I sat forward, wondering what was going on.

"What?" Dean asked and leaned in through Sam's window to see what he was reading.

Sam shook his head. "In this e-mail from this girl, Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine—"

"Is she hot?" Dean asked.

I just rolled my eyes.

Sam ignored him and continued, "I went to school with her and her brother, Zach. She says Zach's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Rebecca says he didn't do it, but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case."

"Dude, what kind of people are you hangin' out with?" Dean asked while staring at Sam's phone.

"No, man, I know Zach." Sam turned his attention to Dean. "He's no killer."

Dean shrugged. "Well, maybe you know Zach, as well as he, knows you."

"They're in St. Louis," Sam said, "We're going."

Dean laughed. "Look, sorry 'bout your buddy, okay? But this does not sound like our kind of problem."

Sam nodded. "It is our problem. They're my friends."