Chapter Forty-Two - How to Disappear

I awoke a good while later to the most gentle rhythmic noise, like water dripping into a well. It was peaceful, and beautiful, and made me feel at ease. I stirred a little, feeling something heavy against my chest, but I didn't feel panic. I felt safe.

My eyes slowly blinked open, the fuzziness giving way to clarity. Eli and I were lying on the floor of the fancy French penthouse, the fire burned out, but our naked bodies were still warm from where they were intertwined.

I turned my head to see him on his side with his tan muscular arms across my chest and his breathing even. He'd always looked so peaceful while he slept. As kids I used to steal moments like this with him, falling even deeper in love while he fell even further away from me. Falling into the pulls of popularity, and sports, and girls. Lots of girls.

I pushed his arm off slowly, praying I didn't wake him, and the man upstairs was listening this morning. Eli slept soundly as I sat up and crept around the living room, grabbing my shirt dress, and moon boots that probably cost more than an entire month's rent.

As I dressed, I caught sight of my half-dyed hair and bare face in the fireplace glass. I wondered if people would think I was a hooker on my trek home after a long night of work. I surmised it didn't really matter what people thought. Parisians hated everyone, so why would I be any different regardless of my profession?

Eli muttered something in his sleep and I froze until his breathing became even again. This boy could sleep through a hurricane. Or a snow storm. My eyes flickered to the window, recalling the snowflakes that swam around us, and coated his dark hair last night. Shit.

At least a half a foot of snow sat piled on the terrace while still more fell. I would freeze my ass off walking even the short distance to and from the cab in my t-shirt dress. My eyes fell to Eli's tuxedo jacket with the equally as expensive label. He had offered it to me last night, so I was sure he wouldn't mind if I borrowed it until I next saw him.

I tapped my boot against the floor trying to make up my mind and Eli stirred again, reaching out for me. Even in sleep, we gravitated toward one another. Which was exactly why I had to make my grand escape without waking him. If his gravelly morning voice asked me to stay, I would never leave. I'd spend the day getting lost in Eli and I couldn't do that again.

As great as last night had been, it still didn't change anything. Eli lived in Canada and I lived in Europe. The distance alone was a death sentence without all of the other stuff - the temptation, the work schedules, the time difference. I plucked his jacked from the counter and shrugged it on, allowing myself the luxury of inhaling deeply and enjoying the essence of him. I would know that smell in a crowded room.

I walked further into the kitchen and opened and closed a few drawers slowly, surprised when I actually found what I was looking for. The white notepad was typical in size, but with a pink swirling design on the top, and had a fancy gel ink pen attached to it with the initials J.L. printed on the side. I wondered who J.L. was and if this was their place.

I bit the cap off of the pen, holding it between my teeth, as I scribbled my message in my typical half print, half cursive handwriting.

I love you Eli,
I always have,
I always will.

- Aves

I smiled at the simplicity of the message, knowing it was true and sometimes the truth didn't need anything else. I crept back closer to him, leaving the note near my pillow where I knew he would find it when he woke up.

I tried my damndest not to stare at him as he slept, his full lips parted, his strong jaw line at rest, his powerful back rising and falling with each breath. He was the stuff of romance novels, and silver screen seduction, and bad boy temptation all wrapped up into one incredible man. I sighed and he stirred again. No more staring. It was time to go.