Chapter Forty-Four - Sad Girl Heaven

Nine Months Later -

Eli didn't make it back to New York in October, and I didn't make it home for Christmas...for my third straight year in a row. EVOL had kept me impossibly busy as had my several beauty campaigns. I would've felt guilty for my part in not seeing Eli if he hadn't been so busy too.

Apparently his 'visionary director', Aric Rodriguez, was damn near impossible, demanding reshoots and different 'natural lighting' in their desert landscape somewhere outside of Mexico City. As a result, they were only halfway through filming the movie and it was a mess. Eli's TV show had to be pushed for another six months so they could finish their shooting, and Eli had been beyond stressed the few times we'd spoke.

Cell phone service was only available when he was in the city, which with his demanding schedule, was becoming less and less frequent. I would worry for his safety too if he wasn't so charismatic and fluent in Spanish - both thanks to his dad.

I glanced out the window of the airplane somewhere over Utah, admiring the mountains from this altitude. Although I hadn't been able to spend Christmas with my family, my schedule did allow me the luxury of three days vacation over the course of the new year, as did Eli's.

Uncle Snake and the rest of my dad's band were throwing a massive black tie New Years Eve party to celebrate another successful tour, with plans to donate the proceeds to their rehab center. I stealthily pulled out my phone and snapped a photo of the mountains covered in snow, sending it via email to Eli.

Avery : Five hours....

His response was almost immediate.

Eli : Four hours and fifty-seven minutes...

I grinned like a stupid idiot, unsure of what to reply, until another email from Eli came in. He must actually be in Mexico City.

Eli : Should we do a bonfire like old times?

Avery : Only if it ends up with me naked and you giving me that skewer...

Eli : Personally, I've been imagining dripping marshmallow on your tits and licking it off...

Oh. Wow. I swallowed and glanced sideways to the bored college girl beside me and the man in the aisle seat who was reading an article in the L.A. times. They had absolutely no idea that I was currently in the throws of sexting...sexmailing...whatever, with international heartthrob movie star Elijah West.

Avery : I think that can be arranged....

Eli : Four hours and forty-nine minutes

Avery : I love you

Eli : I love you too

I sighed, rereading his response. I knew Eli loved me, but with the lack of communication recently, I was relieved to hear it from him, even if it was in the form of words on a page. I moved the conversation into my 'favorites' tab in my email, right along with my EVOL contract, and the photo Chantel sent me of the girls and I in front of the Louvre on my last day in Paris.

Feeling inspired, I quickly opened a tab and typed out an email addressed to 'the girls' email list.

Missing you guys. Meet up in Paris next summer for old times sake?!

I swallowed at the lump in my throat as I hit send. So much had changed in the last year and a half since I'd lived in Paris. Chantel was still there, deep in the throws of high fashion, Fi had moved back to London to model and be a full time brand ambassador for Stella McCartney, and Rox had actually moved to New York with Mike and was expecting their first child. They were mainly living off of his big Wall Street paychecks, not that I wasn't happy for her. They were madly in love, and selfishly I got to see her once a month for lunch.