Chapter Two - Don't Blame Me

I hadn't always snored, really, I was a very angelic, peaceful sleeper, but my huge plastic mouth guard obstructed my airway. The dentist had warned me it was absolutely necessary, given the violent way I ground my teeth, but I still hated to wear it. It made me drool like a fiend and sound like I had a million marbles shoved into my mouth. All of which was extremely unattractive and unfortunate when Eli paid me an unexpected early morning visit the next day.

I woke around seven A.M. to someone sitting on my bed, staring at me until I blinked my eyes open. I fully expected to see Collins' devilish hazel glare, but Eli sat smiling at me as if I were adorable. "Whaaaaa are yewwww doo-hing?" I slurred around the mouth piece and Eli grinned even further.

"Ah, now this version of you I remember." I shoved at him, and pulled the mouthpiece from my mouth, grimacing at the line of spit that accompanied it to my night stand.

"What the fuck are you doing here so early?!" I frowned at the clock on my iPhone with the stock photo of the dolphin as the background.

"I'm a morning person now."

"Since when?" I stalked toward the bathroom and glared at my own reflection in the mirror. My blonde hair stuck up wildly, and I pushed my fingers through it until it tumbled in waves just past my jaw. I washed the dried spit from my face and brushed my teeth while Eli watched me through the mirror.

"It's been four years. People change." He smirked and I rolled my eyes dramatically.

"Using my words against me, you're so fucking cute." I only half lied, taking in his black jeans and Vans and heather gray pull over paired with a black flat billed L.A. Kings hat tugged low to his eyes. He looked fucking incredible, not that I would ever tell him. That would be weird for our friendship...

"You know you love me." He crossed his arms over his strong chest and he couldn't know how accurate he was.

"Where are we going?" I changed the subject, not bothering with makeup and pulled on my white UCLA sweatshirt and black Lulu Lemon yoga pants over my toned body.

"I figured we could go and grab a coffee at Caffe Luxxe." Eli shrugged. "And then go from there."

I nodded in agreement, recalling how much I loved their sea salt mocha and croissants. I leaned forward, still day dreaming about the honey glaze on their pastries as I tried to lace my skate shoes, but I pulled back and grimaced. It felt like one of my ribs had been popped out of place when I wiped out yesterday, and I bit my lip to still the tears that threatened my eyes.

"You need some help?" Eli bent, already tying the laces on my left shoe before I could respond. He tied them a little too tightly, but his fingers were soft as they grazed up my ankle and I fought the overwhelming urge to moan.

"Thank you." I grinned. "I hate to be a wuss, but that wave fucked me up yesterday." His fingers worked beautifully against my right leg too and I felt the space between my legs moisten at the image of him on his knees in front of me. I would sell my soul to the devil to have him touch me there. "We should probably head out. My dad would fuck you up if he caught you in my room. Only Collins gets away with having sex in her bedroom..." I flushed as the words crossed my lips. What was wrong with me?!

Eli and I weren't screwing in here, he was tying my stupid fucking shoe laces. God I was hopeless, and awkward, and wanted to jump out of my third story window. This was exactly why I'd never stand a chance with Elijah West, because I was a Grade A weirdo.

I shoved him aside at the bottom of the staircase, sprinting out the front door, and peddling my long board on my sloping private drive. I tried to fly as fast as I could, away from Eli, and my past, and myself, but all three all eventually caught up to me...