Chapter Eight- Bitter

"He's such a dick. Seriously. Put your fucking lipstick on and let's go." Marissa scolded in the full length mirror from her position seated on my bedroom floor.

"Maybe he had an emergency..." I argued weakly.

"An emergency that kept him from getting in any sort of contact with you? For a week?" She rolled her dark eyes.

"He did contact me though..."

"Yeah, what did the text say again? 'I'm sorry I kissed you, but I'm a pussy and can't deliver'?"

"No." I crossed my arms over my chest. "He said he 'had something come up and he would call me when he could'." I knew how flaky it sounded, but my crushed ego wanted to pretend like he was stuck on some deserted island for a photo shoot without cellphone reception.

"You're in denial, Adams." Marissa shook her head. "Put on the damn lipstick and go out and get laid." If only I had ever gotten laid to begin with...

"There'll be plenty of cute boys at this USC party. Trust me, Elijah West will be the last thing on your mind." She grinned at me sideways through her reflection in the mirror as she clipped her bangs to one side.

"I'm just surprised Mister Lacrosse has stuck around so long..." I said awkwardly through swipes of peach lipstick across my lips.

"Me too. I will say though, he does this thing with his fingers where-"

"Marissa!" I howled, tossing my lipstick cap at her.

"What're you whores screaming about?" Collin's grumpy blonde face appeared in my doorway and I glared back at her.

"None of your business. Get out." I barked, pointing at the door, but she ignored me and plopped onto my bed, looking bored as always.

"I need your car for the weekend..."

"Not happening." I crossed my arms over the chest of my black dress. "You already had it last weekend." After Collins found me at Eli's shoot she'd blackmailed me into letting her have my car for the past two weekends. I was already having trouble getting the smell of her blackberry vape out of the seats.

"Come on. Don't be a bitch." Collins rolled her bright hazel eyes that matched our father's. Aside from the color of our eyes and her perpetual scowl, we were practically carbon copies. Wavy blonde hair (mine cut short, hers to the middle of her back), tan skin, and a petite strong build with curves in all the right places. Collins had embraced our genetic blessings, wearing as little clothing as possible and sleeping with a handful of different partners at once, while I had a more subdued approach to life.

"It's not my fault you totaled your car." I countered and Marissa smirked in the mirror. Being an only child in a very conservative Asian household, she loved when we fought.

"It's not my fault you snuck Elijah West into your bedroom last week. I'm sure Daddy would love to hear you had a late night guest..." She flipped her phone around to show the feed of Eli outside of my bedroom window on my trellis. My heart seized seeing his handsome face and large body in the frame. I tried to grab the phone but she shoved it back into the back pocket of her leather miniskirt.

"I thought the cameras weren't working." I glared.

"That one magically started working again, straight to my cellphone." She feigned shock, but I knew better. Collins was a literal genius when it came to technology. She could solve all the world's problems if she wasn't so busy creating them.

"Delete it now and I'll let you live...." I threatened.

"And use your car?" She probed, not backing down.